The 6 pack abs; a religion with more followers than Justin Bieber on Instagram. Getting these rows of rock-hard abdominal muscles and defined serratus anterior can be such a hassle. Most people will do classic crunches, leg raises and other floor exercises which is not bad! But that alone won't grant you the mighty belly.
Truth is everyone has abs. It's a set of muscle, like any other. Most people will say "I don't have abs" or "I'm starting to have abs" but is that really what's happening?
Training abs is important. How frustrating is it when your good friend trains abs twice a week and get an 8-pack while you train abs 5 times a week and can't even see them? Truth is you probably have more powerful abs than your friend. How does that even make sense?
Always remember that there are two kinds of fat : visceral and subcutaneous. Visceral fat surrounds your internal organs and is important. Around 20% of your body fat is visceral. The other 80% is the one you probably don't like. It is located directly beneath your skin so think about it. Vulgarly said, you would have skin, fat, and muscles.
A myth is then born. A lot of "studies" say that burning fat at specific areas is possible. Yet, subcutaneous fat is also structured as layers, meaning that your body has a global fat percentage. Most people will like previously explained focus on losing the abdomen fat and struggle a long journey to nothing less than nothingness.
Now, I can't stress this enough. Abs are all about nutrition and body fat. Yes, you gotta train them, they're muscles. But they're like any other one so no need to over-train your abdominal muscles. You wouldn’t do 300 reps of biceps for them to grow, same goes for abs. Train them once or twice a week and kill them with progressive overload using weights. There are many ways to lose "belly fat" and get more visible and defined abs. These tips and tricks will be discussed later in another article about fat-loss and hitting your macros. But just for fun... Try to stop eating 3 hours before going to bed every day and instead, drink water. Also, try drinking a lot of water right before meals. You'll destroy the remaining hunger left after having lunch or supper.
Abs are shy, make them shine, burn that fat and make it rhyme <3.
Photo cred : https://www.flickr.com/photos/morganmorgan