Oh the joys of being in your 20's. It the most important years of our lives for it allows to explore our options and figure out who we are as individuals. We make mistakes, we learn them and move on from them. We fall in and out of love. We encounter some good people, and some bad ones. Our 20's are supposed to be filled with adventures and doing the unexpected.
With our 20's comes a term called reality. Don't think that this journey involves sunshine and unicorns (we wish). But with life, comes tough times and we will address them in this article. Now before we do, we want to add a bit of a twist: we are going to make it localized so that Edmontonians can relate to it. So without further due, let us go through 14 struggles that Edmontonians go through in their 20's. If you have a few of your own, feel free to share them with us! Oh and if you like GIF's, then you'll definitely like this article!
1. Having to take the LRT to go to an interview Downtown for a job that you don't even want.
But at the same time, it doesn't require 5+ years of experience, a Master's Degree and the ability to speak 3 other languages so you suck it up and head to the interview looking your best.
2. Graduating with $30,000 dollars of ALIS debt only to realize that you can't get a job.
You spent 3 months sending out resumes to Indeed, Workopolis, and Monster with no word back from anyone. SMH.
3. Spending a fortune to go to your best friend's birthday at Red Star... on a weekday night.
Meaning you have to get dressed, drive Downtown, pay for parking, and force yourself to have conversations with people you don't know. This is worse if you have an assignment due the next day at 9 am.
4. You want to move out and live in a highrise apartment in Downtown Edmonton, but you like living at home.
Sure independence has its perks, but it comes with lots of responsibilities. Plus, you don't even have the funds for that highrise apartment, so slow your roll.
5. Watching couples get proposed to at La Ronde while you're on Tinder.
When will my time come?
6. Not being able to afford tickets to an Oilers Game at Rogers Place.
Even the price of beer makes you and your wallet cringe.
7. Having money for a vacation then remembering that you have to pay off your student loans at the U of A with it.
*Insert crying face emoji here*
8. You get jealous of those your age living it up in Banff, or 3000 miles away.
As much as you want to be a part of the fun, your life comes with an array of responsibilities.
9. The need to feel cool af by visiting every coffee shop or new restaurant in the city.
Instagram a picture of your espresso at District Cafe = check! Snap a well lit photo in front of the portrait of Biggie Smalls at Baijiu = check!
10. Having to be the designated driver when going to Black Dog with your friends.
*Takes shot of water*
11. Running into an ex (or two) at YEG Cycle
Turns out you're not the only one working off that post-breakup stress.
12. Having to see someone you went to high school with at Harry Ainlay.
And the worst part is, you don't have enough time to hide.
13. Your parents and all their friends constantly asking you what you intend to do with your life the second after you walk down the Concordia University graduation stage.
Umm, it's a surprise.
14. You're too lazy to cook but you're on a budget, so you eat at LovePIZZA for a whole week.
Now that we think of it, it doesn't really count as a struggle. Maybe a struggle for your wallet, but your hunger... pffft.