Calling all Potterheads! If you live in Alberta and you love all things Harry Potter, you will not want to miss out on this magical and free Harry Potter themed festival that is making its way to Edmonton this month. Based on what we've heard of the event, it's inspired by the sets in the Warner Bros. movies and The Wizarding World of Harry Potter™.
The Festival of Witchcraft & Wizardry will be bringing a Harry Potter themed festival to Edmonton this month. The magical event will take place next Friday, on October 12th from 2 PM to 9 PM. You can expect people to go all out since dressing up in house colours and costumes is encouraged by the organizers of the festival. And of course, the iconic butterbeer drinks will be served at the event.
*Disclaimer: The pictures used in the article were used for illustrative purposes only.
The best part? The event is FREE to attend! You can partake in several Harry Potter festivities at no cost. You'll be able to walk through the "Dragon Alley" market, where vendors will be selling magical wares and handmade items, eat your heart out at the Food Trucks, watch a real-life Quidditch practice, do Wizard Yoga and participate in the activities happening in the Library all for the lovely price of zero dollars.
If you do want festival extras, however, tickets start from just $5 and go up to $25. Please note that you will need to buy tickets online before the event because payment will not be accepted onsite.
There will be so many cool things happening at the festival. You can buy tickets on their website here. These are all the details and prices for festivities that will require a ticket bought online in advance:
- For drinks, there will be cold, sweet Buttery Beer locally made from scratch and warm, spicy Pumpkin Juice made from real pumpkins and topped with whipped cream. There will be no alcoholic drinks served at the event. The drinks will cost $5 each.
- There's a Harry Potter themed escape room at the festival called Escape from Magic Manor. There will be clues and live action prompts and tickets cost $15.
- You can take Insta pics at the Photo Booth in a magical location with Harry Potter inspired props like a pet owl and pet phoenix. Tickets cost $20 and include a professional print and emailed image of up to five people, so it equals out to about $4 a person.
- There will be a Magical Express Train that you can ride and will feature popular Harry Potter characters. The tickets have sold out but you can sign up on the waitlist. It costs $25.
- At the festival, you can take Witchcraft and Wizardry Classes like the ones they take in Hogwarts, such as the Care of Magical Creatures (which will feature live owls), Potions and Defense against the Dark Arts. However, tickets for all three classes are currently sold out.
- Show off your Harry Potter knowledge at the Wizarding World Quiz and win some prizes. Participating in the quiz costs $20.
- There will be a screening of the movie Practical Magic that will cost $15.
Just when you thought this event couldn't get any better, it did. All net proceeds from the event will go to the Stollery Children's Hospital Foundation! So you can do some good and satisfy the Harry Potter fan in you at the same time.
If you're scared about all the snow in Alberta being a deterrent, we're here to put your worries to ease. The event organizers have said on their website that the event will run no matter what the weather is – so if it's snowing, that won't prevent you from having a magical experience.
If you aren't in Alberta but are a die-hard Harry Potter fan who got jealous of Albertans while reading this article, we have some good news for you. A magical Harry Potter themed Wizards Brunch is coming to two Canadian provinces: neighbouring province BC and also Ontario. You can find out more about the Wizards Brunch in our article.
To find out more about the event or to buy tickets in advance, you can visit the Festival of Witchcraft & Wizardry event website here.