When Vancouver cuisine comes to mind, the immediate food types called into play are most likely sushi and seafood. Another lesser known food that can be hugely underrated but make a consistently good meal is ramen. And we're about to lay down 11 of the best places to try for any local (or visiting) Vancouverite.
Now we're not talking about your three-minute microwave Mr. Noodle sh*t. This is next level soup and broth we're talking about here. Not only that, but there's a world of sides to pair with your noodle goodness. And best of all, ramen tends to lean on the cheaper side. So get a napkin, start drooling, and here, we, go.
1. Marutama // 780 Bidwell St, Vancouver
Hidden off Robson street (and conveniently near a Megabite Pizza and Caliburger), Marutama boasts fast service and uses a chicken-based broth making it a lot lighter than pork broth.
2. Ramen Danbo // 1333 Robson Street & 1833 W 4th Ave, Vancouver
Their unique ramen-dare soup base is imported from Japan, and filled with umami (savory) extracts for a mouthwatering broth.
3. Hokkaido Ramen Santouka // 1690 Robson St, Vancouver
Originating from Japan, Santouka offers consistently good ramen paired with delicious side dishes and very well-priced combos.
4. Kintaro Ramen // 788 Denman St, Vancouver
Kintaro boasts two dishes, their spicy garlic ramen and their cheese ramen are particularly unique as far as the Vancouver scene goes.
5. Taishoken Ramen // 515 Abbott St, Vancouver
Their 'claim to fame' is their "tsukemen". Noodles are served seperate from the broth to maintain the consistency and give a more concentrated flavour.
6. Jinya Ramen // 270 Robson Street & 2129 West 41st Avenue, Vancouver
Jinya only uses Fuji water in their broths to ensure purity and have a special aging process for their noodles. Before coming to Vancouver, they won multiple awards in LA.
7. Ramen Koika // 1231 Davie St, Vancouver
Koika has a bit of everything, boasting both chicken broth, pork broth and soba. Oh, and this big bowl challenge. Any takers?
8. The Workshop // 296 Pemberton Ave, North Vancouver
The Workshop specializes in vegetarian, but still make a delicous ramen that's significantly lighter and healthier than its pork counterpart.
9. Menya Ramen // 401 W Broadway, Vancouver
Menya is an underrated pick that often isn't overcrowded. The best part is that no dish goes over $10.50.
10. Gyoza Bar // 622 West Pender St, Vancouver
Excellent ramen and better Gyoza. Gyoza Bar is definitely worth looking at due to it's unique gyoza focus and great offering of alcoholic beverages.
11. The Ramen Butcher // 223 E Georgia St, Vancouver
Their Kani Tsukemen (Crab broth) is a clear-cut standout. They also offer mini donburi bowls (rice bowls) all at cheap prices!