21 Vancouver Spots Locals Don't Want You To Know About
Can you keep a secret?
There are two kinds of people in this world - those who believe that some secrets are best left unspoken; and those who believe that some secrets are too good to keep to themselves...we're definitely the latter.
We’ve decided to share some lesser-known shops, parks and food-stops that Vancouverites would love to hide forever. The rest is up to you.
Local Boutique Shops
1. Front & Company // 3772 Main St, Vancouver
Between their new and used clothing, and a variety of trinkets and goods, it's easy to lose yourself for hours.
2. 8th & Main // 2403 Main St, Vancouver
With a wide selection of apparel and a lot of hard to find brands, you will always find something new and unique at 8th and Main.
3. Paper Ya // 1666 Johnston St #9, Vancouver
Hidden in the heart of Granville Island, Paper Ya is constantly stocked with pens, parchment, notebooks, watches and all sorts of little knick knacks!
4. Vancouver Pen Shop // 512 W Hastings St, Vancouver
Call me old fashioned, there's something about pen and paper that a laptop just can't replicate. If you're gonna take notes in class, you may as well do it in style!
5. MacLeod’s Books // 455 W Pender St, Vancouver
Why pay top dollar at Indigo, there's treasure to be found at this new and used bookstore! You can often find similar titles for a fraction of the price.
6. Tanglewood Books // 2306 W Broadway, Vancouver
Shoutout to my book lovers and English Lit. students! Tanglewood specializes in out-of-print books, boasting bookshelves stocked with gems.
7. New Brighton Park // 3201 New Brighton Road, Vancouver
Most people will drive by New Brighton without a second thought, but with a public pool and dog-friendly park, that's the beauty of it!
8. Tower Beach // NW Marine Drive, Vancouver
Everyone and their brother has heard of Wreck Beach. But have you heard of the quiet alternative nearby? Fun fact: It's clothing-optional as well.
9. Cates Park // 4141 Dollarton Highway, North Vancouver
What's that, Deep Cove is packed - again?! Lucky for you, Cates Park is just down the road. Their concession, Wally's Burgers, does mean onion rings as well.
10. Boulevard Bistro // 636 Queensbury Ave
From Philly Cheese Steak Hash, to Huevos Racheros, this is North Vancouver's go-to spot for brunch!
11. Deep Cove Brewery // 2270 Dollarton Hwy #170, North Vancouver
You'll come for the beer, but stay for the food... or more beer. Not only do they have rotating craft beers, but they also have fantastic vodka!
12. The Workshop Cafe // 296 Pemberton Ave, North Vancouver
Japanese-inspired fare meets a cozy vegetarian cafe! Try them on a Wednesday, when they offer Sakura Shio Ramen, with Himilayan Pink Salt - but only one day a week!
13. La Taqueria // 1305 Welch Street, North Vancouver and Various Locations
Possibly the best tacos in Vancouver, La Taqueria boasts multiple locations, and just started offering burritos! They also have a Wednesday special you can't refuse.
14. The Soup Meister // 123 Carrie Cates Ct #103, North Vancouver
Exceptionally cheap, and a different menu every day, there's always reason to check out their fresh-made soups!
15.// 277 8th St E, North Vancouver
They've kicked it old school, with flights, sundaes and root beer floats! This newly-opened parlour also has mini golf right outside, making it perfect for hangouts!
16. Marutama // 780 Bidwell Street and 350 W Georgia St, Vancouver
One of the few (if not only), ramen restaurants to use a chicken broth over beef! That makes it healthy and guilt-free, right? They also just opened a second location at the Vancouver Public Library!
17. Wakwak Burger // 500 Granville Street, Vancouver
Cheap, fast, and easy to find, Wakwak keeps it simple - but that's the beauty of it. It's a $3 burger and it'll blow you away.
18. Baodown // 12 Powell Street and 221 Carrall Street, Vancouver
It's Asian street food with a Filipino Flair! Their gastown location is cheap, and has a menu that'll keep you coming back.
19. The Parlour // 1011 Hamilton Street, Vancouver
Serving a mean pizza by day, and becoming a stylish cocktail lounge at night, The Parlour is a Yaletown gem! They also do Happy Hour from 3pm-6pm!
20. Cacao 70 // 1047 Denman Street, Vancouver
Maybe skip the meal, and go straight to dessert. Cacao 70 is a recently-opened chocolate bistro from Montreal and it's your one-stop for a sweet tooth.
21. Tako Vancouver // 601 Expo Blvd, Vancouver
Tako-bout a great deal! Tako has Happy Hour specials with their tacos, burritos, bibimbab and quesadilla for $8! They also have a beer and cornchips special for $5.95!