Canada is so amazing. We are so lucky to live in such a great country that allows us so many freedoms. As the years pass we've seen our government become more and more open to the idea of things that were totally forbidden only a few years ago.
With all this progression I guess we forgot about some strange old laws that once served a major purpose in our communities. Some of those laws are starting to seem more and more far fetched these days.
We have all read the lists of unusual laws around the world that make us question other law makers. Well, turns out Canada isn't any exception. We have a plethora of strange quirky laws that will have you asking yourself "Why?" repeatedly. Some of these laws are no longer in existence and many of them are no longer enforced, but if you found yourself in the right (or wrong?) situation you might be breaking some laws you never knew existed.
Here is a list of 36 unusual laws you never knew existed in Canada:
1. In BC it’s illegal to kill a Sasquatch.
2. In Vancouver it was illegal to sell a stove on a Wednesday from 1947 to 1986.
3. It's illegal to to own more than 4 pet rats at a time in Port Coquitlam.
4. In Oak Bay you could be fined $100 if you parrot talks to loud.
5. In Victoria, street entertainers aren't allowed to give kids balloon animals.
6. Its illegal for someone under the age of 15 to be outside without a guardian between the hours of 12am and 6am in St. Paul, Alberta.
7. Current law in Alberta states that it is against the law to paint a wooden ladder.
8. In Calgary it is illegal to buy or sell non prescription contact lenses at costume shops.
9. In Alberta it’s illegal to set fire to the leg of a wooden-legged man.
10. Rails to tie horses must be provided by businesses in Alberta.
11. In Fort Qu’Appelle, Saskatchewan it’s illegal to walk down main street with untied shoes.
12. It's Illegal to whistle in Petrolia, Ontario. According to the towns website "Yelling, shouting, hooting, whistling or singing is prohibited at all times."
13. It's illegal to attach a siren to your bike in Sudbury.
14. In Toronto it is illegal to swear in a public park.
15. If you don’t pay your hotel bill in Ontario, the hotel can legally sell your horse.
16. In Oshawa it is against the law to climb a tree.
17. Purple garage doors are against the law in Kanata, Ontario.
18. Don't try getting all fancy on your bike in Ottawa because taking your feet of the pedals while riding is illegal.
19. Don't swear at your mother in public in Toronto...you could get arrested.
20. It is against the law to eat ice cream on Bank Street on a Sunday while in Ottawa.
22. In Ontario it’s illegal to drive your sleigh on the highway without at least two bells attached to the harness of your horse.
23. In Etobicoke, Ontario it’s illegal to have more than 3.5 inches of water in a bathtub.
24. In Uxbridge, Ontario it’s illegal to have an Internet connection faster than 56K.
25. You could be arrested if you drag a dead horse down Toronto’s Yonge Street on Sundays.
25. In Quebec City its illegal to swear in French.
26. In Quebec it is illegal to impersonate a foreigner.
27. In Beaconsfield, Quebec you are breaking the law if you have more then two colours of paint on your house.
28. In Fredericton it is against the law to wear a snake, or carry a pet lizard in public.
29. Unhinging somebody’s front gate is a crime in Wolfville, Nova Scotia.
30. It is against the law for Taxi drivers in Halifax to wear shorts or t-shirts.
Prince Edward Island
31. In Charlottetown, it’s illegal to intentionally ring any doorbell or knock at any door in order to disrupt, disturb, or annoy any person in his home or place of work.
32. According to current Canadian law "Everyone commits an offense who…makes, prints, publishes, distributes, sells or has in his possession for the purpose of publication, distribution or circulation a crime comic."
33. In Canada it is illegal to challenge someone to a duel or accept an invitation to a duel.
34. Do not try to scare the Queen in Canada, unless you want to be arrested.
35. It is illegal to remove a band aid in public in Canada
36. “Offending a place with a bad smell” is illegal under the criminal code in all of Canada.
Follow us on Snapchat: narcityvan