Let's admit it, Vancouver Island is a pretty sweet place to visit but have you ever tried living there? I have. I spent 7 years on Vancouver Island so I feel pretty qualified to write this article.
There are so many things about the island that change once you go from tourist to resident and I have laid them out for you below.
Face it, you're an Islander now.
1. You talk about road tripping to Tofino every summer.
But you never go.
2. You've had a bonfire down at Dallas Road Beach at least once.
3. You're not surprised when your favourite restaurant goes under.
The next one will grow on you.
4. I'm sorry, what's "formal wear"?
5. You take all the "mainlanders" to the Breakwater.
6. You are constantly complaining about tourists every summer.
7. You have been in a protest either intentionally or by accident.
8. You are always discovering new local coffee shops.
9. You care a lot about the environment.
10. You think going to Vancouver is a "big trip."
Better pack up an entire suitcase for the weekend!
11. You expect to walk into at least 3 people you know when you leave your house.
It would be weird otherwise.
12. You avoid Butchart Gardens at Christmas and at rose blooming season.
13. You only shop local now.
Add sustainable, natural, and ethical to that list too.
14. You get excited to watch the Truck Parade every winter.
15. Forget "bear aware" you are cougar aware.
TWO-THIRDS of the cougar population exist on the island. Have fun sleeping tonight.
16. You avoid BC Ferries at all costs.
1 sailing wait. 2 sailing wait. 40 sailing wait??
17. You take the cherry blossoms for granted.
Seriously, leave the island and I dare you to find one.
18. The line at Jam or Red Fish Blue Fish doesn't scare you anymore.
In fact, you only grow stronger as people give up along the way.
19. You're extremely against aquariums.
20. Because you can whale watch from the shores.
21. You know the difficulty level of almost every hike in town.
22. You've been waiting for a lifetime for BC Ferries to route from Victoria to Horseshoe Bay.
23. You're 4/20 friendly.
Hey, it's island life.