Contaminated Sushi In Vancouver Has Caused An Infection From The 1800's To Come Back
OMG not the sushi!
In B.C. as many as 4 people have been found with an infection that health officials are calling extremely rare. That's because the likes of it haven't really been seen widespread in Canada in 2 centuries.
Those living on Vancouver Island were were found to be infected with cholera, an infection that causes nausea, vomiting and diarrhea that can lead to extreme dehydration.
Island Health officials are saying that the individuals likely contracted the infection after eating herring eggs harvested on the coast of Vancouver Island.
Those investigating say that they don't know exactly where the infection is coming from, but it could be because of the changing marine environment in the area.
The sample bacteria that medical officials have are still being tested to discover the exact strain of the infection since it's one that B.C. has ever seen before.
Cholera bacteria may be passed person-to-person, but is usually contracted from bacteria in food or water sources infected with fecal matter, according to Dr. Shannon Waters, a medical health officer.
Cholera killed at least 20,000 people in Canada in the 1800s, but the disease has largely been eradicated in the country - Ontario Ministry of Health says an average of one case per year is reported in that province but it's from those traveling outside of the country.