It was only two days ago that someone found a dead rat in their soup at a popular restaurant in Vancouver. No, this wasn't some new type of trendy soup with a crazy name, this was actually a dead rat that someone found while eating a bowl of clam chowder at a very well-known restaurant in the city.
On December 27, a Vancouverite found a full sized dead rat in their Manhattan Clam Chowder that they ordered at the Crab Park Chowdery in Vancouver's Gastown district. If you think this is some kind of sick joke, it isn't. We reported the incident a few days ago and now it looks like the restaurant has officially responded to the incident.
Shortly after the incident occurred, the shocked customer took photos and a video to show just how horrific the experience at Crab Park Chowdery was. In an effort to prove that this actually happened, the customer, Adele posted a video of the dead rat soup to Instagram to warn other customers.
In the video, you can see the customer pulls the dead rat out of their chowder soup. It's surprising that the rat was in the soup without any staff noticing, especially considering it was nearly the size of the bowl of soup itself.
View this post on Instagram
So i am going to talk about this place @crabparkchowdery . Today my friend ordered Manhattan clam chowder and had a little surprise in it - A RAT. Well i don’t know what else to say about it.... this place just need to be closed or at least people have to be aware about this situation. The cafe is kinda popular though... I’m just trying to help people to avoid places like that. Its an awful feeling, it’s not a fly or a bug it’s a fucking big fat rat boiling in the soup pot, which means my friend was not the only who had a chance to try it. Thank you for you attention. #crabparkchowdery I do not force anyone to believe. This is my personal experience that I shared. Thanks for your attention again. My active page is @adelaiiine if you think this one is fake.
The Instagram caption read, "Today my friend ordered Manhattan clam chowder and had a little surprise in it - A RAT," wrote Adele on her Instagram post. "Well I don’t know what else to say about it.... this place just need to be closed or at least people have to be aware about this situation."
She continued, "The cafe is kinda popular though... I’m just trying to help people to avoid places like that, Its an awful feeling, it’s not a fly or a bug it’s a f*cking big fat rat boiling in the soup pot, which means my friend was not the only who had a chance to try it, "
The Instagram post quickly gained traction and numerous media outlets spread the word over the shocking soup. Shockingly, the restaurant remains open and here's why. Vancouver Coastal Health has been investigating the incident since the video was posted last Thursday.
Initially, VCH ordered Mamie Taylor's, the commissary kitchen where the bowl of clam chowder was prepared to shut down following the incident. According to the owners of Crab Park Chowdery, the food was made in Mamie Taylor's kitchen, which was leased to Crab Park Chowdery and is located in the basement of the building.
Now, the owners of Mamie Taylor's spoke out on the incident stating that they would no longer be leasing the commissary kitchen to other restaurants and they've severed all business ties with Crab Park Chowdery.
Ron Oliver, the owner of Mamie Taylor's stated that Crab Park Chowdery's operations are completely separate from theirs and that the basement level kitchen is not used by his restaurant.
Now, VCH has rescinded their closure of Mamie Taylor's restaurant. According to the Vancouver Sun, VCH conducted an inspection on Saturday and the restaurant was allowed to remain open but the commissary kitchen has been closed. In addition, the Crab Park Chowdery restaurant remains open but only by using their mobile food cart kitchen.
Vancouver Coastal Health spokesperson Tiffany Akins also confirmed that evidence of rodents was found at the restaurant. The eatery has also reportedly had previous issues with rodents. VCH confirmed that were signs of rodents back in February during an inspection at the Gastown location.
According to CTV News, a follow-up inspection was done in February and they did not find any issues with rodents then. Nor did they find any rat issues in April or October.