Christmas can be expensive. I find that December is the only month where I actually lose count of my spending. Lbh, this happens to most of us because while we're working full-time jobs, studying, maintaining a social life and planning events with our friends and family, we spend all of our spare time running in and out of shopping malls to grab as many presents as we can before we run out of time!
My point is that we will undoubtedly spend a huge chunk of our savings on Christmas presents, so don't think that you have to spend a ton of money on trendy winter activities. There are so many events, concerts, hikes and other things to do in Vancouver during the holiday season that are super cheap and a ton of them are even free! I've listed a plethora of festive fun activities, and if it costs any money at all, I've written down those prices! But between you and me, most of them are free!
Don't fret this holiday season, we've got a ton of classic Christmasy things to do in the city that you will love!
1. Join thousands of people to watch the Surrey Tree Lighting Festival.
On November 25, listen to award-winning artist, Ruth B. perform live in Surrey and watch the mayor light up a 55 foot Christmas tree!
2. Go snowshoeing on Dog Mountain
This easy trail is the perfect setting for a winter wonderland hike.
3. Drink feuerzangenbowle at the Vancouver Christmas Market
Try this traditional German holiday drink at Vancouver's biggest Christmas market!
4. Christmas Tree picking at Frosty's Christmas Tree Farm.
Grab your crew and visit an authentic Christmas tree farm! So cute.
5. Stroll through the Bright Nights display at Stanley Park.
Take a ride on the Christmas Train and walk through the elaborate light display at Stanley Park.
6. Race around the Robson Square Ice Rink.
Skate circles around your BF at Vancouver's ultimate winter date spot.
7. Explore this 15 acre light display at VanDusen Gardens.
This magical garden features over one million twinkling lights!
8. Pop in and out of the shops at a Heritage Christmas.
Walking through this Christmas village will make you feel like you're at the North Pole!
9. Discover North Vancouver by hiking Norvan Falls.
This trail is completely safe to hike during the winter, so discover North Vancouver by hiking Norval Falls!
10. Watch an epic fire show at the Winter Solstice Lantern Festival.
On December 21, join the secret lantern society and illuminate the night.
11. Grab some sleds and toboggan down Cleveland Park hill.
We're expected to get snow this year which means it's perfect tobogganing weather!
12. Take a tour of BC's most magical outdoor skating rinks.
These outdoor skating rinks are perfect for a quick game of hockey.
13. Have some old fashioned fun and build a snowman!
Do you want to build a snowman? 🙈
14. Take selfies in front of this crystal light dome.
You need to check out this mesmerizing dome.
15. Plan a cheap staycation in BC!
16. Road trip to Seattle to see this awesome free Christmas market.
Santa and his elves are visiting Seattle this Christmas!
17. Take a spin on a vintage carousel.
Visit this enchanting Christmas village and take a ride on their old-school carousel. Carousel tickets are $2.65 each.
18. Take a stroll through the Lights at Lafarge display in Coquitlam.
The 1.2 km display wraps around a Coquitlam lake!
19. Spend the day relaxing at JJ Family Spa.
Want a relaxing spa day for only $18? Me too.
20. Bundle up to watch the annual NYE fireworks in Downtown Vancouver.
Set up your blankets at English Bay and watch the free fireworks display.
21. Be brave and join the Polar Bear Swim on new year's day!
Ring in the new year by taking a dip in some freezing cold water!