Winter is coming and so is Christmas!!! There is no shortage of holiday events and activities this season and we're here to help you make the most of it.
For students, school's almost out for winter and soon you'll have more hours for life than you ever did during the semester. But after you're done doing absolutely nothing after your post-exam slump, there are tons of activities, events and shows that await you in Vancouver. You only get winter break once a year so why not make the most of it?
From free but fun things to do to shows and concerts to experience, winter outdoor activities, holiday festivities and more, this article has got you covered. Vancouver becomes a wonderland decorated with lights and filled with festivities in the wintertime, so don't miss out on this season. Get ready to send this list to your crew and have the ultimate winter in Vancouver. We are here to help you make sure your winter in Vancouver is nothing short of amazing. So here's the ultimate guide to winter 2017/2018 and here's to making the most of the season.
For Romantic Dates, click "Next".
1. See the Canyon Lights at Capilano Suspension Bridge
Experience a magical light spectacle in a beautiful outdoor setting. The Canyon Lights at Capilano Suspension Bridge will feature hundreds of thousands of lights and some of the world's tallest Christmas trees.
2. Visit the Vancouver Christmas Market
Who's ready for mulled wine??? The annual German-inspired Vancouver Christmas Market at the Jack Poole Plaza will have over 75 huts of food, drinks and treasures!
3. Cozy up at the Hot Chocolate Festival
It's the most delicious time of the year! The annual Hot Chocolate Festival will return January 20, 2018.
4. See the magical lights at Glow
Want to see the biggest Christmas lights display in all of the world? Lucky for us, it's in Vancouver.
5. Cozy up at the winter patio at Reflections at the Rosewood Hotel Georgia
It's the most festive patio in all of Vancouver! Don't miss out on this beautiful pop-up patio at the Rosewood Hotel Georgia in Downtown.
6. Visit the Vancouver Chinese Lantern Festival at the PNE
Here comes the biggest Chinese Lantern celebration in Canada! This 5-week showcase of chinese culture will have huge lanterns, performances and food.
7. Go for drinks at this cozy cabin bar called The Black Lodge
Who wouldn't want to drink in a bar that looks and feels like a rustic cabin? So head on over to The Black Lodge for your winter drinks.
Getaway anyone? Grab your other half (BF or BFF) and soak in the romantic magic of the season.
9. Go skating on the Magical Outdoor Skating Rinks In BC
There are some next level outdoor skating rinks throughout the province. Enjoy some ice skating this winter season.
10. Stay at one of these 9 Romantic Airbnbs To Rent For Cheap Instead Of Going On A Date
There are no shortage of adorable Airbnbs in British Columbia. Experience winter in a new way and stay at an adorable winter cottage.
For Outdoor Activities, click "Next".
1. Visit one of these 8 Incredible Winter Waterfalls In BC
Surreal doesn't even begin to describe the winter waterfalls of B.C. Go chasing waterfalls this winter break for a frozen adventure you won't want to miss out on.
2. Go for a spa day at one of these 9 Incredible Winter Spa Resorts In BC For Under $60
Winter is the perfect time to go on a spa day or getaway. It's cold outside but still so scenic, and spas allow you to experience the outdoors while staying warm. A win-win situation.
3. Go sledding, tobogganing, or tubing
Relive your playground days and slide down some mountains. A perfect winter wonderland activity.
4. Zipline through the snow // Ziptrek, Superfly, Grouse Mountain Ziplines
Want to add some adrenaline to your winter? Try ziplining through the mountains and valleys of B.C.
5. Go skiing or snowboarding at a BC ski resort
Ski season is here (yay!). Experience some of the best slopes in the world right here in our province.
6. Experience the Peak of Christmas on Grouse Mountain
A winter wonderland awaits you atop Grouse Mountain. Head on to the Peak of Christmas for holiday festivities galore.
7. Visit The Spirit Of Christmas at Sea to Sky Gondola
The Sea to Sky Gondola offers breathtaking views of Squamish and the fjords below. See it in it's holiday glory during the Spirit of Christmas.
8. Walk through the Festival of Lights at VanDusen Gardens
One million lights sparkling — you know it will be a picturesque time. The Festival of Lights returns to VanDusen Gardens once again this winter.
9. Stay Overnight In An Igloo In BC
Want a seriously cool experience? Sleep in an igloo for the ultimate Canadian adventure.
10. Rent out an Incredible Ski Chalet For Super Cheap In BC
How nice would it be to ski-in and ski-out of your very own chalet though? Well your dreams can become a reality in BC.
For Groupons/Getaways, Click "NEXT"
1. Visit Vancouver's adorable Christmas Market
Get an amazing deal on tickets to the Christmas Market with admission for two adults. Enjoy amazing food and drinks, super fun entertainment and much more!
2. Take a luxury getaway to a waterfront condo on Vancouver Island
Stay in this brand new condo with all the luxuries that you could need. This condo is just steps away from all the best activities on Vancouver Island!
3. Explore the Museum of Vancouver and escape the winter cold
Learn all about Vancouver through stories, objects and shared experiences with interactive exhibits.
4. Bring out your inner child at Castle Fun Park
Castle Fun Park has tons of games for all ages to enjoy. Experience the laser maze, bowling alleys, indoor mini golf courses, bumper cars and much more.
5. Enjoy Paint Nite with your friends or S/O
Drink awesome cocktails and paint adorable winter themed pictures at your local Paint Nite event.
6. See the Vancouver Canucks on their home soil
See any upcoming games the Vancouver Canucks are playing at super reduced prices.
7. Visit Lulu Island Winery for a vineyard tour and wine tasting
Learn about wine and grapes in their natural habitat and enjoy some fresh and delicious wines that were locally grown. Enjoy a charcuterie platter with your wine tasting.
8. Visit the Handmade Revolution at Make It Show This Winter
Grab handmade presents for every special person in your life at this show from December 7-10th at Empire Fields.
9. Watch movies on a massive IMAX screen at OMNIMAX
Receive your choice of two or four tickets to an IMAX movie at the OMNIMAX theatre. See all kinds of amazing scientific movies on an interactive massive screen.
10. Enjoy a luxury staycation at a waterfront condo in Yaletown
Stay in a downtown condo with views of the water with luxury digs. You'll feel incredibly relaxed without even leaving the city.
For Free Activities, Click "NEXT"
1. Walk through the Lights at Lafarge Lake
Experience the beauty of a 1.2 kilometre trail lit up by 100,000 lights. The event runs from November 26th to Jan 21, 2018.
2. Experience Bright Nights in Stanley Park
This beautiful light display is entrance by donation with funds supporting the BC Professional Fire Fighters' Burn Fund. Experience 3 million sparkling lights and a Christmas train too (extra cost).
3. Stroll through a Heritage Christmas at the Burnaby Village Museum
The Heritage Village in Burnaby becomes a christmas wonderland every year. Walk around the quaint grounds.
4. See the Vancouver Christmas Tree
Every year the Vancouver Christmas Tree lights up the center of the city. See the 76 feet tall tree in Robson Square.
5. Go ice skating at Robson Square
How cute is ice skating in a festive outdoor rink though? Enjoy free ice skating at Robson Square this winter break.
6. See the Dundarave Festival of Lights
Love Christmas and the beach? Get the best of both worlds at the Dundarave Festival of Lights.
7. Experience the light of lanterns at the Winter Solstice Lantern Festival
Ever wanted to see lanterns light up the night like in Tangled? Experience Vancouver's take on it at the Winter Solstice Lantern Festival.
8. See the St. Paul’s Hospital Lights of Hope
These lights illuminate Burrard Street every year. See 10km of lights and 100,000 bulbs at St. Paul's Hospital biggest fundraiser of the year.
9. Go to the Winter Farmers Market at Nat Bailey Stadium
Love farmer's markets? Then make sure to check out the Winter Farmers Market at Nat Bailey Stadium.
10. See the Canadian Holiday Train in BC
All aboard the Polar Express! The Canadian Holiday Train will be stopping all across Canada, including our very own British Columbia.
For Concerts/Shows, Click "NEXT"
1. See Grizzly Bear at Orpheum Theatre
The American rock band Grizzly Bear is coming to Vancouver. See them live on Thursday, December 7, 2017 at 7PM.
2. Party at the Ugly Christmas Sweater Party
Bring out your most ugly christmas sweater to this annual party. The annual Ugly Christmas Sweater Party takes place at the Commodore Ballroom on December 23rd. The party raises money for the Make A Wish Foundation of Canada.
3. Experience "Kurios" by Cirque Du Soleil
The iconic Cirque Du Soleil blue and yellow tent is back in Vancouver! See Kurios at the Concord Pacific Place from October 19 to December 31.
4. See The Nutcracker with Ballet BC
Love The Nutcracker? Experience this musical in beautiful ballet form at the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra from December 28 to 30.
5. See Jhené Aiko live at the Vogue Theatre on December 8
R&B singer/songwriter Jhené Aiko is coming to Vancouver! See her live at the Vogue Theatre on December 8.
6. Celebrate like it's 1927 at the Orpheum's 90th birthday bash
The Orpheum is turning 90 this year! To celebrate, it's throwing a huge 1920's like birthday celebration on November 24.
7. See Jay-Z live
The world-famous rapper is coming to Vancouver this December. See Jay-Z at Rogers Arena on December 11.
8. See Tyler The Creator live
Kick off 2018 on the right musical start. Tyler The Creator is coming to the PNE on January 26, 2018.
9. See The Killers
Sing your heart out to Mr. Brightside and other Killers classics. The Killers are coming to Doug Mitchell Thunderbird Sports Centre at UBC on December 6