Whether you've lived in Halifax for your entire life or you plan on just studying here for a couple years, it's always good to know a little bit about the city you call home. Being one of the first cities settled in Canada, Halifax has a rich history full of hilarious stories and some pretty interesting facts that have formed here. We put together a list of the most interesting pieces of information we could find about the HRM for you to joke about with your friends and use as ammo at your next trivia game.
1. Halifax is technically not even a city
But a regional municipality made up of Halifax, Dartmouth, Bedford and the Municipality of Halifax County.
2. Halifax is closer to Dublin, Ireland than it is to Victoria, B.C
3, The Halifax Explosion in 1917 was the world’s largest man-made explosion before Hiroshima
4. Citadel Hill is the most visited National Historic Site in Canada to date
5. There are 81 post secondary students per 1000 people in Halifax
Three times the national average, likely because of our 6 degree granting universities.
6. Halifax rents Point Pleasant Park from the British Government
For only 10 cents per year on a 999 year lease! Talk about cheap rent.
7. One out of every five Canadians is related to someone who passed through Halifax’s Pier 21
8. Canada’s first covered ice rink was opened on January 3, 1863 in the Halifax Public Gardens
9. Up until 1844 the Royal Navy hung pirates at Point Pleasant Park
On Black Rock Beach!
10. The Halifax to Dartmouth ferry service is the oldest continually operational saltwater ferry service in North America
11. Halifax has more bars per capita than any other city in Canada
12. The first divorce to occur in Canada was filed in Halifax
In the year 1750.
13. Allegedly there are 32 Volvos on the floor of the Bedford Basin.
They sunk in 1969 after the container ship that was transporting them sunk.
14. Someone walks into a library in HRM once for every minute that the libraries are open.
Writer's note: Facts 3, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, and 14 are from Halifax Magazine's "50 Things You Don't Know About Halifax" series by Sarah Sawler - thanks also to the writing team at HikeBikeTravel.com for their help with this article.