Living in Ottawa is a lot of trial and error. You've definitely taken the wrong bus a few times or you've gone outside in a cute AF outfit to realize you're about to be soaking wet from the rain. It happens to the best of us, don't worry.
If you're new to Ottawa, beware of these decisions. And if you've lived here all your life, you probably have done all of these things at least once. But mistakes are made so we can learn from them, right? Anyways. Here are 15 of the dumbest decisions you could ever make in Ottawa. You've officially been warned.
1. Not having a roommate.
Unless you're breaking the bank at a young age, don't waste your money just to be able to watch Netflix alone every night.
2. Insisting that you're fine without an expensive winter jacket.
Do I even need to explain this one? No, a lined jacket from the sales section of Sears will not do in -40 degree weather.
3. Wearing anything leather in the summer.
Humidity + leather = an absolute sweaty mess. Wait a few more months to break out the leather.
4. Not checking out the weather before leaving the house all year round.
It was +16 degrees last year on Christmas Eve. Check the weather to save yourself a mental breakdown.
5. Having a pre-drink in Barrhaven when you're heading downtown.
"Do you guys just want to stay here?" No one wants to bus downtown while drunk. And if you're from Barrhaven, you'll most likely show up sober from the long bus ride downtown.
6. Deciding to drive downtown in the winter.
Do you think you're invincible? Good luck getting to work on time.
7. Not taking the OC Transpo at least 30 minutes earlier in the winter.
Again, good luck getting to work or school on time if you don't. This city is a mess in the winter.
8. Moving here and assuming it's a cheap place to live.
Never assume anything is cheap in Ottawa. Then you won't get let down.
9. Not online shopping during the holiday season.
Christmas shopping is fun at first but then you start to hate everyone. With only a few good malls in Ottawa, that excitement fades fast. Just save yourself the trouble and spend the extra 5 dollars on shipping.
10. Not taking advantage of the amazing late night eats in the market after a night out.
Zak's Diner. All I need to say.
11. Not moving for someone actually in need when you're in the priority seating on the OC Transpo.
You're an asshole and everybody knows it.
12. Admitting you don't think Trudeau is really, really attractive.
Sorry... I just don't like listening to fake people.
13. Taking the 95 anywhere from 4-6 pm during the week.
I mean, it's obviously necessary, but avoid it whenever you can. Can someone get this man a breath mint?
14. Saying you're okay with the new Chateau Laurier expansion.
You're so hipster and so original. Bye.
15. Thinking you won't see at least one of your Tinder matches while at a bar/club.
And it's definitely the one you ghosted after the first date. Woops.
Follow us on Snapchat: narcityottawa