We can poke fun at Ottawa all we want, but we know it's a great city to grow up in and live your life in. Obviously like any city there are things that just make us cringe and Ottawa definitely has more than enough of those. We're so much of a government city that we feel the need to take road trips to close places to have fun. Welp, that's Ottawa for you.
Just kidding... kind of. It's amazing how many thoughts come to mind when you ask yourself what do you complain about when it comes to Ottawa. Is it the weather? Is it the transportation? Is it the entire city as a whole? No matter what, all of those things are first world problems and we're more than lucky to live in one of the safest cities in Canada. But that still doesn't mean we can't laugh at our hometown. So here are 17 first world problems on an Ottawan would understand.
1. 4 95X to Baseline in a row.
Are you kidding me? It's -25 outside and this bus shelter heating does nothing.
2. Your favourite artist finally releases a new album and announces a tour.
Aaaaand... looks like I'll be road tripping to Toronto or Montreal. Again. Do people not realize we're the capital of Canada?
3. When UberEats doesn't deliver to your neighbourhood because you're technically outside of Ottawa.
This is discrimination!!!
4. When your Tinder date wants to meet up for drinks in the market.
And you end up seeing another guy you're talking to on Tinder. Good lord Ottawa, I get you're small but give me a break.
5. Getting ready for a night out and your hair finally looks unreal.
Then stepping out into the heat and it completely going flat. The humidity in Ottawa is so much fun.
6. Wanting to move out of Ottawa because the city is so expensive.
Yet not being able to move because you're broke because the city is so expensive. A vicious and damn annoying cycle.
7. "Lets go out somewhere new tonight!"
*Pure silence as it seems like there hasn't been a new bar or club open up in years in Ottawa* lol nevermind.
8. Never being on any list of places to visit in Canada.
And if we are, it's solely because it's the capital. The other reason is to check out the Parliament Buildings. Jeeze guys, give us a break. We know we're boring but you don't have to admit it.
9. Yes, we live in the same city as the hottest Prime Minister ever.
No, I haven't met him yet. Please stop assuming you'll run into him every time you go hiking now.
10. When you park at a park and ride to save time busing.
Yet the OC Transpo is late. Again. Why didn't I just drive?
11. When you don't get the hype about Chipotle because we haven't been graced with it's presence.
Soon though, apparently. Even though Mucho Burrito is 10x better but that's just my opinion. #muchoforever
12. Visiting Toronto or New York City and being completely mesmerized by all their billboards and advertisements.
The only art in our city is the graffiti/writing on the back of the seats on the OC Transpo, or Real Estate Agents faces planted everywhere. Other than that, we're as clean as a whistle.
13. Wanting to support Bridgehead since they're a local company but...
Starbucks is bae. Or if you're real broke, Timmies. Sorry Bridgehead, it's not you... it's us.
14. Not having an obligatory hometown photo because the scenery here is less than mediocre.
It's between a couple picture on the canal or a candid pic of you standing next to the Parliament Buildings. And c'mon, those buildings definitely never go with your Instagram theme.
15. When a phone number calls you and it's not a 613 number.
We know you're a telemarketer–absolutely not answering and absolutely didn't win a free cruise.
16. One of the most exciting things to happen to us was when Kanye West was potentially looking for a house here.
When your city is so boring that there are never paparazzi here so one of the most famous rappers in the world wants to use that to his advantage. Well, see yah in the market Kanye.
17. Judging people solely off of what university they go to.
"uOttawa? You must be french." "Carleton? Is it cause you miss high school?" "Algonquin College? Aw I'm sorry, what program did you get rejected from in university?" *rolls eyes*
Follow us on Snapchat: narcityottawa