Adulthood–it's a super hard thing. We're forced to do things we don't like, to hangout with people who don't make us happy, and we can't afford anything. Right? Wrong.
Your 20's are a pivotal moment in your life where you shape who you are, what you want, and who you want to spend time with. You are in control of your own life, and there is no way around that. It may seem like the world is against you in your 20s, and I can completely relate sometimes. However, once you start making changes, you realize that you're your own worst enemy.
It's easy to blame other people and other reasons on why your life isn't going as planned. Well we're not going to blame ourselves, right? Wrong again. There are brutal truths that everyone in their 20s needs to hear in order to live the life they truly want. If you put your best foot forward, you'll realize that life isn't all that awful/stressful. So here are 40 brutally honest things you need to hear in your 20's–you're welcome.
READ ALSO: 7 Unique Places To De-Stress In Ottawa
1. Travel the world now, or you never will.
2. It's better to have a few close friends than a bunch of fake friends.
3. But no matter what, you need to be your own best friend.
4. You don't need to drink to have fun.
5. Jealousy doesn't get you anywhere. Hard work does.
6. Don't put all of your worth into your relationship status.
7. You shouldn't give a shit if someone has a different opinion than you.
8. Stop being stubborn and be the bigger person. It always pays off.
9. Don't ever waste time on what people think of you. Do your thing and do it proud.
10. If you still have drama in your life in your 20's, you need to reevaluate your life.
11. Say no to things you don't want to do.
12. Listen to your parents, they're most of the time always right.
13. Some people are not meant to stay in your life, it's okay.
14. It's perfectly normal to get into a rut in your 20's.
15. Work to live, don't live to work.
16. Having expectations will just result in disappointment. Don't expect anything.
17. Go the extra mile–in your job, relationships, and life in general.
18. Don't live off of processed foods. You'll thank me later.
19. Love hard, even though it hurts. What hurts more is not loving at all.
20. If something is bugging you, don't hold it in. It's toxic.
21. It's never too late to start over.
22. Sweat. It's so good for every part of your life.
23. Go on that date with that guy who isn't your type. Stop having a type.
24. Stop spending money on wants, and start saving money on needs.
25. However, treat yourself.
26. There will always be someone better than you. But who cares?
27. This is the time to make mistakes. Just don't dwell on them.
28. There is no timeline for anything. Just relax.
29. You're allowed to have doubts about every part of your life. Nothing is set in stone.
30. If you don't like the person you're becoming, change.
31. Read books on self-help even if you don't think you need it. I promise, it helps.
32. Positive thinking is everything in life.
33. If you don't love yourself, you won't be able to let anyone love you.
34. Everything is possible if you work hard enough for it.
35. If you don't like someone, stop being their friend.
36. Stop doing things that don't make you happy anymore. No matter what it is.
37. Always ask. The worst answer you can get is no.
38. Compromise. If you stick to your own ways forever, you'll never be happy.
39. Don't half ass anything.
40. You don't owe anybody anything.
Follow us on Snapchat: narcityottawa