It's that time of year when we're all going to be spending the rest of our money at the Rideau Centre. But, just because it's the Christmas season doesn't mean it has to be hard on the wallet.
Fortunately there's plenty of free activities you can do alone, with your friends or loved ones during this holiday season. I often tell people that December probably is the best month to get out and explore Canada's capital. Here are 16 things you can check out this holiday season (for free):
1. Skate on the Rink of Dreams.
2. Watch the fireworks on Parliament Hill on NYE.
3. Take a drive down Taffy Lane.
4. Wander through Confederation Park to look at all the Christmas lights.
5. Watch the tree lighting on Thursday Dec. 8 at the National Art Gallery.
6. Go tobogganing at Green's Creek.
7. Take a wintery walk through Gatineau Park.
8. Take photos at Hog's Back Falls.
9. Sign up for a free wagon ride between 12-4pm in the ByWard Market on Saturdays and Sundays.
10. Watch the Christmas lights on Parliament Hill.
11. Visit the Arboretum.
12. Head to Major's Hill Park in the evening.
13. Take a hike to the Wilson Carbide Mill.