Photo cred - fatfatties
Toronto is fast becoming the new poutine capital of Canada. Sorry Montreal, you may have the history, but the TO food scene is taking poutine to exciting new levels. No one will be able to refute that fact once they see the full list of poutines that will rock Toronto's world during Poutine Week 2015.
Over the course of 7 poutine-filled days, some of the greatest Toronto eateries will be battling for your taste-buds' approval in order to be named poutine champion of Toronto. So really, you win no matter what, because a vast variety of poutines to eat is a prize in itself.
The concept is pretty simple: go to one of the participating poutineries, order their special poutine (at a reduced price, mind you) and if you like it a lot, go to the Poutine Week website and give the restaurant some points. Whoever has the most points by the close of Poutine Week (Feb. 7th) will win.
You can begin taking your poutine tour of Toronto on February 1st, and eat/vote 'til the 7th. To plan out your poutine-eating-frenzy, take a look at the full restaurant list below.
Fresco’s "Rockin' Lobster Poutine"
- A classic poutine with homemade lobster bites added in.
Boots & Bourbon Saloon's "Saloon Poutine"
- Yukon fries covered in Anise Jue topped with slow braised pork shoulder, Quebec cheese curds, and scallions with horseradish mayo for dipping.
Duke’s Refresher + Bar's "Hungover Brunch Poutine"
- Normally only found on the Duke's brunch menu, this poutine is a stack of fries topped with cheese curds, pulled pork, breakfast sausage, two eggs, and a strip of bacon.
Fancy Franks Gourmet Hot Dogs' "The Porker Poutine"
- Chorizo gravy douses a bed of freshly cut fries,, cheese curds, grilled onions, bacon, and scallions.
Greenwood Smokehouse BBQ's "Danforth Decker Poutine"
- 3 kinds of meat (pulled pork + beef brisket + house-smoked bacon) atop fries, cheese curds, and smoked mushroom gravy.
Little Fin's "Lobster Poutine"
- Seasoned potato wedges topped with Quebec cheese curds, butter-poached lobster, and lobster bisque gravy.
Lou Dawgs Southern BBQ "Big Dawg Poutine"
- Hand-cut fries are loaded up with cheese curds, meaty beans, pulled pork, homemade coleslaw, and dried cranberries, with smoked chicken gravy covering the whole dish.
Market Garden's "Caplansky’s Smoked Meat Poutine"
- Shaved Camplansky's smoked meat is placed atop crispy fries, cheese curds, all smothered in rich beef gravy.
Marky & Sparky’s Smokehouse "Smokehouse Poutine"
- Blanched then fried French fries, topped with slow smoked brisket, chicken gravy, and cheese curds.
Caplansky’s Delicatessen's "Latke Poutine"
- Crispy little latkes topped with cheese curds and covered with smoked meat gravy.
Monarchs Pub's "Montreal Steamie Poutine"
- Take a trip to Montreal with a poutine made up of two mini steamed hot dogs (with grilled buns) on top of a classic poutine mix of fries, curds, and beef gravy.
Mr. Ciao's "Osso Buco Poutine"
- Osso Buco (braised veal shanks) is poutine-ified with Polenta fries, cuds, and gravy.
Poutineville Annex's "Sugar Shack"
- Everything amazing about breakfast combined: a fresh pancake topped with tempura bacon strips, crushed potatoes, cheese curds, bacon, ham, poutine sauce, baked beans, chopped omelette, and pure maple syrup.
The Citizen Restaurant & Bar's "Citizen Poutine"
- Triple-blanced French fries are graced with Gora curry, deep fried chickpeas, cheese curds, and some fresh cilantro.
Cut The Cheese "Smoked Chicken Poutine With Beer Gravy"
- Like the name lets you know, smoked chicken poutine with beer gravy made with Junction Craft Brewery's "Night Train" Dark Ale.
The Thompson Diner's "Peking Duck Poutine"
- Otherwise known as the PDP, this poutine combines french fries, Peking duck, and cheese curds all smothered in a hoisin-gravy.
The Pie Commission's "Take-out Poutine"
- Poutine is now a pie, joined in a savoury crust with braised lamb shank mango curry.
The Whippoorwill Restaurant & Tavern
TOMA Burger Addiction's "The Summer BBQ"
- Fries (of course) are joined by pulled pork smothered in BBQ sauce, caramelized onions, and cheese curds with Toma gravy sauce.