11 Things You Should Know When Dating A Filipino Guy
Your Asian Prince Charming.
Filipinos are everywhere in Toronto. They're kind of hard to miss, especially since there are as many as 200,000 Filipinos living in the GTA alone. Whether it's Scarborough, North York, Mississauga, Ajax, Richmond Hill, you're bound to find some of them.
That being said, many of you probably grew up having Filipino friends. But have you ever dated one? Here are some things you should know when dating a Filipino guy.
1. He's likely to be a huge momma's boy. Like huge.
And that's not necessarily a bad thing. Although, his mom on the other hand might have high expectations of who her baby is dating.
2. His parents will may be judgmental of you for a while.
I mean, most parents of any culture usually are. For Filipino parents though; if you're not a doctor or an engineer, they'll likely have to grow onto you.
3. You'll be interrogated non-stop by all of his family members.
Most likely in Tagalog, too.
4. You're going to eat rice and you're going to like it.
There's no such thing as a diet in a Filipino relationship. Like, what is that?
5. There's a high chance you'll be doing a lot of religious stuff even if you're not religious yourself.
Sometimes the only thing Filipino parents care about is that their kids' partners are religious (Catholic, in particular). #NoPressureThough
6. He's likely to speak a whole lot of corny sweet talk to you.
It'd be like every Bruno Mars song ever. "Hopeless romantic" is engraved in his DNA.
7. He may have jealous tendencies.
Apparently jealousy is a thing with Filipinos.
8. Breakfast may never be the same again for you.
What? Sugary pork? Egg and rice? Sweet buns? For breakfast?!
9. Prepare yourself for impromptu performances you'll be requested to do at fam jams.
No one says no to a Filipino crowd requesting a karaoke performance from you or your spot-on impression of Chris Tucker.
10. You'll hear some of the loudest sounds you've ever heard before in your life.
Phone calls, Skype calls, conversations with family; just to name a few.
11. He'll treat you like a queen.
And that's not an overstatement. Hospitality is simply the Filipino way.
Okay... So some of these are a bit exaggerated. But I promise they all have some bearing of truth. All in all, we Filipino dudes are a whole lot of fun to date! And if you don't believe me, then I guess you'll just have to let one of us prove it to you. *wink*