15 Skills You Need To Master Before Calling Yourself A True Torontonian
Home is Toronto.
We've all been guilty of it before. When you're away for school/work or on vacation and someone asks you where you're from... you answer, "Toronto." Do you really know what you've signed yourself up for by calling yourself a Torontonian? With that title comes responsibilities and the ability to know the trends of your city back and forth.
If you live in surrounding areas around Toronto and claim you're a Torontonian, you may have bitten off more than you can chew.
Before making any premature claims, be sure to check these skills off your list before you tell someone you're from the 6ix.
1. Willing to wait an hour to be seated on a Sunday (or any other day of the week) for brunch because BRUNCH IS LIFE.
Nothing can get in the way of your eggs Benny & home fries.
2. Strutting down Front Street without falling in the many cracks and dips from all the T.O construction.
This is your classic morning routine: running to work without tripping over the uneven sidewalks.
3. Convincing a group of businessmen to take you to a Raptors game because they're the only ones that can afford a seat.
If Drake's there, you gotta be there too.
4. Managing to make every small café look hipster and posh AF.
Taking the perfect photo of your large Caramel Latte, non-fat milk with extra syrup is quite the art. Here are a few coffee shops
5. Getting the perfect Instagram story at "SPINCO" to make everyone think you're actually fit.
Just be sure to take the snap pre-workout. This place will make you sweat.
6. Pairing the right Adidas sneaker with every outfit (even if it's -15 degrees outside).
Below zero temperatures won't stop a true Torontonian from sporting their new pair of kicks.
7. Persuading everyone that Toronto is the centre of the universe because Drake was born here.
Drake gives us Torontonians more life than our own mothers.
8. Pretending you have connections at every bar to get line bypass even though all bouncers ignore you upon arrival.
When you try and be cool but fail miserably in front of your friends.
9. Ignoring the man at Dundas Square that yells out "BELIEVE" at the top of his lungs.
When you hear it every day, it eventually becomes background noise on your morning commute to class.
10. Picking fashion over anything no matter what Mother Nature throws at you.
No rain, hail, snow or wind can stop you from looking fabulous at every point in the day.
11. Riding your bike down University without getting killed by a crazy Toronto driver.
Dodging cars and buses is a skill every Torontonian must have.
12. Chasing a streetcar down Bathurst praying that they'll stop and let you on.
The key moment of truth that determines how your day is going to go.
13. Pretending you actually enjoy baseball going to a Jays game every weekend in the summer when you're really only there for the beer.
Go Jays woo!
14. Going into debt to have a designer bag across your body at the club.
Looking pretty has a price.
15. Smiling at strangers because Torontonians are the kindest people in Canada.
Canadians will always Trump Americans!
Master these skills and you've earned yourself the right to call yourself a true Torontonian.