Ah, young love. Or at least, young lust. Yes, I'm talking about dating in university. Playing the field in university is notoriously confusing. Does he like me? Does he like me not? Top all of it off with trying to navigate through the murky waters of our rampant hookup culture, it can sometimes feel like the most confusing thing in the world.
As someone whose university days are behind them, I've seen it all. Here is a little wisdom that I learned during my time at school which I hope can help you make some sense of dating in university.
1. Floorcest is a problem.
Unless you realize you actually like them and are looking for a relationship, hooking up with someone on your floor is guaranteed to create a long year of awkward run-ins.
2. So is hooking up with your lab partner.
Same thing as above. No one wants to share a microscope with someone they've seen naked.
3. You don't need to get physical right away.
Whether you feel pressured by the person you're with or what other people are doing, there's no reason to rush into something. Only you can decide if you're ready for things to go further.
4. Don't shy away from a relationship just for the "university experience."
You hear from so many people that a relationship will hold you back from "experiences" while you're at school, but if that's what makes you happy, that's the only thing that matters.
5. You don't need to have a one night stand just because everyone else has.
I promise, this is not something that you need to check off your bucket list.
6. On the other hand, don't let anyone shame you for doing exactly that.
You do YOU. Don't let anyone tell you you're in the wrong.
7. Stop trying to make it work with your long distance high school boyfriend.
This is something that only you can decide for yourself. If you're forcing an LDR just because you're scared to let go, sometimes it's better to rip off the bandaid.
8. Be honest and open about what you want, rather than playing games.
Can we all just stop playing hard to get? Rather than play with their head, be open about what you want. That way you'll both know whether you're looking for the same thing right off the bat.
9. Don't worry about doing what other people are doing.
Don't compare your life life to people around you! Let things happen at your own pace.
10. Don't wait around for someone to text you.
When you're at university, there are literally thousands of eligible people your age all around you. If they're not replying, there's someone better who will.
11. You're too young to be fighting all the time.
When you're young and in a relationship, you have way fewer responsibilities to handle. If you're already fighting at this age, it's probably not going to get better once you have real problems.
12. Don't rely on romantic attention for your self worth.
You don't need that guy/girl to like you to make yourself feel good. University is a great time to practice self love. As Carrie Bradshaw said, "Don't forget to fall in love with yourself first."
13. Don't settle because you're bored or desperate.
Like I said before, there are THOUSANDS of options! Don't settle!
14. Branching out of your social circle will open up a new world of dating possibilities.
It's easy to get used to the same group of guys you've known since first year. In order to expand your pool, get involved in an activity or go for a drink with friends in another friend group. You never know who you'll meet!
15. Try not to take it too seriously and just have fun.
Don't stress yourself out. Dating should be fun!