22 Things About Toronto Life Someone Should Have Told You Before You Moved Here
Is last call really at 2:00am?
Photo cred - @martinamays
Making the decision to move to a new city is huge, and it's important to know all your facts before you get there. Unfortunately there are certain quirks that every city has that, for the most part, you'll only find out about once you get there. It shouldn't have to be that way though. All it takes is a good friend to shed some light on things.
1. First and last
Every apartment you want to live in will cost an arm and a leg to secure.
2. The brutal wind
If you are outside in the winter, your face is always hurting.
3. The fact that everyone is always busy
Wanna see your friends? Make sure to plan it at least a week in advance!
4. The chicken and waffle craze
And the fact that restaurants get away with charging $15 for a tiny waffle and a piece of gristle.
5. Last call at 2:00am
6. Rent will make you cry
And it'll be 80% of your paycheck
7. You will always be late
Because the TTC is a nightmare.
8. You will have friends you never see because they live on the other side of town.
Hellooo East End gang!
9. The Junction is a waste of time
It actually sucks.
10. Rob Ford isn't just a joke
He also gutted public services and made commuting in any way other than a car a huge pain.
11. On that note, don't get a car if you spend a lot of your time downtown
Unless you love traffic jams and never being able to find parking.
12. No Frills vegetables are sketch
13. It's not the snow you have to worry about, it's the ice
It's always where you least expect it.
14. Metropasses might not be worth the money
Unless you're a drifter who travels around the city constantly.
15. And if you're not using a metropass, you have to deal with tokens
They're tiny and weird, and you will never find a place to put them.
16. Nobody goes out on weekdays
And bedtime is always 11:30pm
17. Buying booze is a race against time
"Shit! The LCBO closes in 10 minutes!"
18. And your options suck
I really can't get Newcastle unless I spend a ton of money on it at the Beer Store?
19. It can be 3C when you leave the house, and -18C when you're coming home
With no warning.
20. Garbage day only comes once every two weeks
Which can take a bit of a lifestyle adjustment to get used to.
21. Everyone's got a thing about eyebrows
And you'll never really understand it.
Photo cred - Torontonicity
22. There's a bunch of winter festivals you never hear about the first year you're here
You're too much of a newbie for anyone to tell you.