O, Canada. There's lots to love about our country, from its glorious landscapes to its diverse peoples. Its unique combination of beauty and odd history make it one of the most magical places in the world.
Here are 30 weird facts about Canada that prove it's the most interesting country ever:
1. Canada only got its own flag 100 years after it became a country - on February 15, 1965.
2. Part of Canada is on Mars... Kind of. A crater on the planet was named after the town of Gander, NFL in honour of its efforts in space research.
3. The famous Canadian interjection "eh" is actually listed in the Canadian Oxford Dictionary as a valid word.
4. The Royal Canadian Mint once made a gigantic loonie made of 99.9% gold that was worth $1 million.
5. You can write a letter in any language and send it to the North Pole, H0H oHo, Canada and you will receive a letter back from Santa.
6. Quebec manufactures more than 77% of the world's maple syrup.
7. Canada shares the largest demilitarized border in the world with the United States (unless Trump has anything to do about it).
8. The townspeople of Nanaimo, BC race their bathtubs as part of an annual aquatic tradition.
9. Some of the world's most popular superheroes were conceived by Canadian minds, including Superman and Wolverine.
10. That being said, it is against Canadian law to have comics that depict criminal acts.
11. Canada is home to the Narcisse Snake Pits of Manitoba, the largest orgy of garter snakes in the world.
12. Twenty percent of the world's fresh water is in Canada, and it has more lakes than any other country.
13. The most common last name in Canada is "Li".
14. In Alberta's Banff National Park, overpasses that go over highways are made for wildlife and have trees and shrubs growing on them.
15. The third official language of Canada is "goose" - just kidding. But Canadian geese do have as many as 13 different animal calls that are distinctly their own.
16. Only in Canada could it go from -19 degrees C to 22 degree C in an hour! (Pincher Creek, Alberta in 1962. Look it up!)
17. Ogopogo is a mythical monster similar to the Loch Ness Monster that supposedly lives in Lake Okanagan, BC.
18. As much as Canadians love hockey, it's actually not the national sport - lacrosse, a First Nations game, is.
19. The Westboro Baptist Church and its members are banned from entering Canada.
20. Hawaiian pizza was actually invented by an Ontario man, not by the Hawaiians.
21. At the Bay of Fundy in Nova Scotia, you can run on the sea bed in a "Not Since Moses" run, but you have to make it across before the 100 billion tons of water rush back!
22. There's an area in the Hudson Bay region has less gravity than the rest of the planet.
23. Up to 30% of Canada is covered in trees and thick forest.
24. Prostitution laws are hazy in Canada - the purchase of sexual services are criminalized, but the selling of sexual services are allowed under certain conditions (if that makes any sense at all...)
25. Canada has been invaded twice by Americans - both in 1775 and 1812
26. The largest Sony big screen TV can be found in Toronto's Rogers Centre.
27. Canada consumes more mac and cheese than any other country in the world.
28. Old Quebec is still walled off and is a UNESCO World Heritage site.
29. The lowest temperature ever recorded in Canada was in Snag, YT at -63 degrees C.
30. The official phone number for Canada is 1-800-O-Canada.
Follow us on Snapchat: narcitytoronto
Tell me your story: [email protected]