Autumn is the best season when you live in Toronto, from all the trees changing colours in the city's parks to the energy that bleeds from the city streets in the fall air.
But with the change of seasons comes a change in projects for the city, including Toronto's transit system. While construction season is coming to a close, the TTC has some changes coming in October that will actually cause some major improvement.
Luckily for commuters, this autumn the upgrades coming to the TTC will actually benefit those of us who the streetcar and subway to get to work or school every day. There will be changes made to bus routes, subways, and streetcar routes to make the city's transit service run more efficiently.
It doesn't matter where you live in the city either, because changes are going to be made to specific routes and across the transit system as a whole, meaning that everyone will feel the effects of the October shift.
No matter what, the new changes are going to help get Torontonians where they need to be and will (hopefully) take them less time!
Here's everything you need to know about the changes coming to the TTC this October:
Express Bus Routes - Changes Implemented October 7, 2018
As of October 7, there will be big changes coming to bus routes across Toronto. A new express service will pick up the pace for commuters to get them wherever they need to go in less time than ever.
The Express Bus Routes are the following:
- 929 Dufferin Express - express route for the regular 29 Dufferin bus.
- 952 Lawrence Express - express route for the regular 52 Lawrence West bus.
- 989 Weston Express - express route for the regular 89 Weston bus.
- 924 Victoria Park Express - formerly the 24E Victoria Park bus.
- 925 Don Mills Express - formerly the 185 Don Mills Rocket bus.
Subway Service Upgrades - Changes as of October 1, 2018.
While express routes will help reduce bunching on the Toronto streets, the TTC is also implementing changes underground so that the rails will be moving as quickly as ever.
The three changes being made on the subway regards Line 1 are:
- Increased service headed northbound in the evening north of Sheppard West Station (previously Downsview) between 9:00 PM and 1:00 AM.
- Infrastructure improvements so more trains can move in and out of Wilson Yard to help reduce delays.
- An additional run-as-directed to join two that were added in the spring of 2018 to help reduce gaps during peak periods.
King St. Streetcar Routes - Changes as of October 7, 2018.
If you're a regular rider of the streetcars on King Street the change in the 504 and 514 routes may have you confused. Don't worry though, while the routing is actually remaining the exact same, there will be two alternative 504 streetcars.
- 514 Cherry streetcars will officially be discontinued.
- Instead, there will be the 504A from Dundas West Station to Distillery and 504B from Broadview Station to Dufferin Gate.
Additional Bus Improvements - Changes as of October 1, 2017
The new express routes will surely get Torontonians where they need to be in less time than ever but there are additional changes to select bus routes for the best transit time yet. Independent routes can expect more service to get from point A to point B with ease.
Changes will be made to the following TTC bus routes:
- 11 Bayview - this route is having it's transit time revised to improve reliability, as well as increased service during weekday peak hours.
- 54 Lawrence East - this route will have increased service on Saturday afternoons.
- 63 Ossington - this route will have increased service on Saturday evenings.
- 95 York Mills - this route will have increased service during Saturday daytime period and early evening.
- 102 Markham Rd - this route will have increased service on Saturday afternoons.
- 109 Ranee - this route will have increased service during weekday peak periods.
- 112 West Mall - this route will have increased service at midday on weekdays.
- 129 McCowan North - this route will have transit times revised to improve reliability, as well as increased service on Saturday mornings.
- 131 Nugget - this route will have increased service times on Saturday afternoons.
- 12 Kingston Rd - this is a new route that will be operating on weekdays as part of a pilot project.