Riya Rajkumar, the 11-year old girl who was abducted and allegedly murdered by her own father, will be laid to rest this morning at the Lotus Funeral and Cremation Centre in Toronto. Riya was picked up by her father, Roopesh Rajkumar 41, at a Mississauga gas station on Valentine's day. He was supposed to take his daughter out for a birthday dinner, but hours later she was found dead. Roopesh was arrested by police outside of Orillia and taken to the hospital for a self-inflicted gunshot wound. 

According to CBC, Peel Regional Police stated that Roopesh remains in critical condition in an undisclosed Toronto hospital where he is being guarded by corrections officers. Rajkumar was originally transferred to a different hospital before being moved to a trauma centre in Toronto due to the severity of his injury.

Family, friends and the community of Brampton gathered last night at the city’s Garden Centre to mourn the loss of the young girl. A candlelight vigil was held as members of the community recited statements, poems and cherished memories of Riya. Peel Police Chief Chris McCord read aloud a statement penned by Riya's mother, who was not in attendance.

“Riya was always a happy and positive child. She loved life and was always excited about everything life had to offer. She never liked to be negative. She touched a lot of lives with her laughter and her contagious big smile. It breaks my heart I will no longer be seeing that smile, hearing her voice – I will never have her in my arms again. I can’t believe she is no longer here with me.” Riya’s mother wrote.

READ ALSO: Brampton Is Hosting A Candlelight Vigil For 11-Year-Old Riya Rajkumar This Evening

Riya lifeless body was discovered in her father’s basement apartment located near Hansen Road North and Crawford Drive in Brampton last Thursday evening. Peel Regional Police had issued an Amber Alert before breaking down the door to the father’s home where they found the girl.

READ ALSO: Ontarians Have Come Together To Raise Over $30,000 For Riya Rajkumar’s Funeral This Week

Roopesh has been indicted on one count of first-degree murder as of this moment he remains in hospital, but he will likely be brought to court once he is medically cleared. It is uncertain when Rajkumar will be released from the hospital.

Comments are now closed.
Account Settings
Share Feedback
Log Out

Register this device to receive push notifications