In honour of Toronto's very first annual #BuyTOaCoffeeDay, independent cafes across the city are treating customers to a free coffee. The event marks a day of kindness in the wake of the recent fatal tragedies in Toronto, from the April van attack to the Danforth mass shooting last month.
#BuyTOaCoffeeDay was started by an anonymous donor, who partnered with the cafes and prepaid for 1,110 coffees. All 11 participating cafes are giving away the prepaid drinks to the first 100 customers who walk through the door.
#BuyTOaCoffeeDay TODAY— UB Social (@UBSocialCafe) August 7, 2018
Come in for a FREE coffee/tea and #payitforward small acts of kindness make our world a better place#coffee #freecoffee #bekind #actofkindness #cafe #latte #expresso #morningcoffee #butfirstcoffee #local #shoplocal #eventsto #cityofsmalltowns pic.twitter.com/VF5PcDc3H2
But, there's a catch. As a pay-it-forward event, all free coffee recipients are asked to buy someone else a coffee in return. A simple act of kindness that goes a long way, especially when its multiplied by 1,110.
"Everyone who receives a free beverage is encouraged to find a way to pay that small kindness forward – treat another stranger to their cup of coffee, or find some other way to make someone's day a little brighter," says the anonymous donor.
Here's the full list of the participating cafes offering free coffees in Toronto today:
- 9 Bars Coffee, 46 St Clair Ave. East
- Mos Mos Coffee, 20 Bay St.
- Fahrenheit Coffee, 120 Lombard St.
- Dineen Coffee, 140 Yonge St.
- Dark Horse Espresso, 630 Queen St. East
- Strange Love Coffee, 101 Spadina Ave.
- Lit Espresso Bar, 1517 Bayview Ave.
- UB Social Café, 3015 Dundas St. West
- Hounslow's House, 70A Hounslow Heath Rd.
- The Big Guy's Little Coffee Shop, 2861 Lake Shore Blvd. West
- Black Gold Café, 2101 Brimley Rd.
Torontonians are encouraged to share their act of kindness on social media, using the hasthag #BuyTOaCoffeeDay. Even the Mayor's tweeting about it!
Source: News Wire