Yes, you heard us right. Thirteen grocery retailers have been chosen by the Ontario government to start selling beer as early as next month, including 25 in the Greater Toronto Area, 16 in western Ontario, 13 in the eastern Ontario and six in northern Ontario. The retailers were chosen based on a competitive bidding process and are listed as follows:
- Coppa's Fresh Market
- Farm Boy 2012 Inc.
- Galleria Supermarket
- Hanahreuem Mart Inc.
- J & B La Mantia Ltd. (La Mantia's Country Market)
- Loblaws Inc.
- Longo Brothers Fruit Market Inc.
- Metro Ontario Inc.
- Michael-Angelos Market Place Inc.
- Pino's Get Fresh
- Sobeys Capital Incorporated
- Starsky Fine Foods Hamilton Inc.
- Wal-Mart Canada Corp.
Retailers will have to follow certain rules when selling alchohol. This include having a specific area to sell it, restricted hours for selling it, and limits on how much can be sold at once.