2016 has been one of the most interesting years we've had in awhile. In a world where memes get as much attention as the top headline of CNN and the former host of the Apprentice is now the leader of one of the most powerful countries on the globe - did we really expect any differently?
Akin to a good Ben Affleck screenplay (looking at you Good Will Hunting, you got me), we've been on an emotional roller coaster this year. The tears have come, but so have the blessings. Now at the end of the day, we've ended up like Mr. Affleck himself holding that golden oscar, staring the future down, and wondering how the fuck we ended up here. And I'd like to answer that question with a mighty we
The "new black" if you will, of the social media world seems to how to make the most satirically based joke mocking the fails of 2016, but whatever happened to the good from the year? (Enter frat boy twitter account- "There's was NONE! LOL DAB") Don't get us wrong we've loved pictures like this; 2017 has the ability to be absolutely (to be 2016 before it's last year) GOAT, if we learn from the bad/evil/shitty times of this year to bring a little more good into next year.
What does that mean? WHY NOT START WITH THE 6IX? Did we forget it was summer sixteen? Toronto has been absolutely BLESSED (way up) with the continuation and emergence of not only amazing talent, but dope shopping, food, and events. And next year? It's only going up.
Celebrate Canada, the land of the free, brave, and good looking with our glorious countries 150th year in the city we call home in 150 ways to make 2017 unreal.
1. Start the new year with a ~refreshing~ dip with the 12th annual Toronto Polar Bear Club dip at Sunnyside Beach on January 1st! All in support of Habitat for Humanity.
2. Or start it off with the 2017 NHL Centennial Classic, the first-ever to start off their year-long centennial celebration of 100 years of NHL Hockey.
4. Treat yourself every single Tuesday this year with The Drake Hotels half priced wine on, surprise, Treat Yourself Tuesday.
5. Take your drink game up a notch by grabbing one per these unreal Toronto Bartenders
6. Switch up your regular movie night at see some unique films at the 8 fest Small-Gauge Film Festival from January 26th-29th.
7. Say goodbye to a true Toronto landmark in the best way possible, with An Honest Ed's farewell Toronto For Everyone; it's a 4 day event by the Centre for Social Innovation.
8. Get your hustle on by working at one of these 24 hour cafes.
9. Take a break from everything with a free meditation class at any Meditation Toronto location.
10. Try out the luxurious cocktail, The Yorkville Affair, at the chic Dbar at the Four Seasons Yorkville.
13. 2016 got you down? Perk up by running through a rainbow/signing up for The Color Run or Color Me Rad.
14. Go check out Berczy Park right beside the Flatiron Building, a must for any dog lover as it's going to feature a dog themed fountain with drinkable water for your four legged BFF.
15. Grab your bae or bestie and set off on your own type of Amazing Race around the city with Urban Capers Scavenger Hunts.
16. Plan an epic squad road trip to one of these surreal places in Ontario.
17. Toronto got the honour of hosting the 2017 North American Indigenous Games, check it out between July 16th and July 23rd.
18. Volunteer at the North American Indigenous Games to see amazing talent in a whole new way.
19. Internationally renowned art for free? Sign us up. Head to the AGO Wednesday Nights from 6-9pm.
20. Put your pinkies up at the Toronto Tea Festival on January 28th and 29th.
22. TRUCKS, CRUSHING, YEAH - and more at Monster Jam 2017.
23. Pucker up and design your very own lipstick (ft. personalized colour, texture and flavour) at Bite Lip Lab.
24. Escape the bustle of the city by challenging yourself to an escape room adventure at the Escape Zone in the middle of downtown.
25. "This ain't your grandma's poetry!" Find out what that means at the twice per month Toronto Poetry Slam.
26. Want to get up on stage and slam yourself? Check out the Toronto Poetry Slam's Workshop series.
27. Laugh your ass off with the comedy Queen Amy Schumer, live at the ACC Friday February 17th.
28. Check out The Anne Boleyn, a new pub on Richmond and Peter by Chantelle Gabino and the geniuses behind city gem, Parts and Labour.
30. Eat your way through the city with Winterlicious from January 27th to February 9th! This year over 220 restaurants will be serving up their best creations for you to feast on.
31. Find love in the form of poultry and carbs, aka feast on some unreal Chicken and Waffles from these places.
32. Get "The Raptors" crepe from this decadent crepe bar.
33. Didn't laugh enough in 2016? Head to Second City Theatre for The Spring 2017 Mainstage Revue, bringing the best material from their hit show Come What Mayhem! and lot's of new bits that'll have you in tears from laughing so hard.
34. Try out your own comedy chops at a drop in or ongoing class at Bad Dog Theatre Co.
35. Ride to conquer cancer with thousands of others with Enbridge's Ride To Conquer Cancer from June 10th-11th.
38. Head back to your childhood with a game of tag, but this time take it up a notch by making it an epic game of Archery tag at the Archery District.
39. Be inspired by the volume of talent and bravery at the Inviticus Games hosted in Toronto September 23rd-30th, where ill and injured servicemen and women compete in different sports.
40. Be part of the team of 1500 volunteers at the Invictus Games.
41. Get fresh with Fresh Wednesdays, the Farmers' Market at Nathan Phillips Square from July 6th-August 24th.
42. Switch up your typical gym routine with one of these cool fitness classes.
44. Celebrate Canada's 150th Canada day by watching one of these unreal firework shows.
45. Go see some cool, eye-opening works at the Toronto Black Film Festival from February 15th to the 19th.
47. Relive your days at Hogwarts (we can dream) by heading to Toronto's Harry Potter themed bar "The Lockhart".
49. Get your Ron Burgundy on and have one of the best bourbons in the city.
50. Cask Days 2016 got us AMPED for 2017, and we can't wait for it to return in the fall to try out some more amazing brews at Evergreen Brickworks.
51. See if you and your bae can head to every single one of these date spots via TTC.
52. Live the life of a food critic during Summerlicious 2017, here is some of the best from 2016.
53. Take a walk on the wild side, aka the Burke Brooke that swerves through some beautiful parks - perfect for the summer.
54. Shop at the internationally known, newly opened Uniqlo, check out this interview Narcity Writer, Eul Basa, had with Mr.Tadashi Yanai and John C. Jay.
55. Explore the beautiful buildings you only dreamed you could go into at the annual Great Gulf Doors Open Toronto event on May 27th and 28th.
56. Try out the vegan big mac of your dreams at Doomie's, new to Toronto in 2016.
57. See stunning works from Muslim civilizations over time at the Aga Khan Museum for free every Wednesday between 4pm-8pm.
58. See the mother f*ckingstarboy live, The Weekend is playing at the ACC May 26th.
60. See amazing documentary films from around the world from April 27th to May 7th at the 2017 Hot Docs Festival.
61. Go for a sake tasting in the Disterilly District at the superb Ontario Spring Water Sake Company, eastern North America's first sake brewery.
62. Visit the newly opened, insanely popular Japanese coffee chain, Tsujiri!
63. Bike along the Waterfront Trail on a beautiful summer day, stick to the central route and stop at any of the amazing cafes nearby.
64. Glam your over priced Toronto condo at the amazing Interior Design Show January 19th-22nd!
65. Watch the hills come alive and sing along to a few of your favourite things with The Sound Of Music at the Ed Mirvish Theatre this summer.
66. Try this insanely decadent, seafood themed caesar at the Boil Bar.
67. Complete this list of mouthwatering cinnamon buns you can get in TO by 2018!
68. Be the independent soul you are and explore the city on your own sans FOMO at these places.
69. Head to the unreal outdoor music event NXNE Port Lands 2017, last year they had amazing performers like Schoolboy Q, Father John Misty, Ghostface Killah and more.
70. Rock on with Kings of Leon at the Air Canada Centre on January 16th.
71. Spend your Friday night soaring through the sky at the Toronto School of Circus Arts Drop-In Flying Trapeze class!
72. Ahoy! Stop by the Toronto International Boat Show and pretend your fancy AF and shopping for your next yacht January 20th-29th.
73. Be one of the first to visit the HUGE new craft beer restaurant opening in 2017, CRAFT Beer Market.
74. Cat lover? Make sure not to miss Just for Cats, held at the TIFF Bell Lightbox it'll bring all the hottest felines to the red carpet and show some hilarious cat-themed videos of the year.
75. Celebrate the summer by toasting it at the 9th annual Wine & Spirit Festival at Sugar Beach in June!
76. Travel the world and never leave the city by grabbing all these candies from around the world in different locations in Toronto.
77. Try out the newly opened Baro on King West to taste some of what was the most anticipated Latin American street food of the city in 2016.
79. Join Choir!Choir!Choir!, the epic group that made this happen - drop in for one night or make it a
80. Have your next Uber be in a self driving car?
81. Hello...Newman. Instead, say hello to Jerry Seinfeld when he performs at the Sony Centre for the Performing Arts on February 17th and 18th.
83. See some amazing live music at the legendary Horseshoe Tavern, this Toronto staple isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
84. Head to the Roundhouse Winter Craft Beer Fest hosted by Steam Whistle Pilsner on February 11th to warm up from the winter.
88. ^Get to their level (or attempt to) by taking a course at one of the top rated makeup and design schools in Toronto, CMU.
89.Take a chic fashion tour around the city with celebrity stylist Alexis Honce.
90. Take the Drake Hotel's six-week Introduction to Odissi Dance Workshop to learn some new moves, or just drop into one of the classes for 20 bucks!
91. Take a writing workshop at the Chang School of Continuing Education at Ryerson University to amp up your resume and insta caption game.
92. Belt along with Bastille during his Wild, Wild World Tour at the ACC March 24th.
93. Try one of the legendary cheese tarts from the Japanese company, Pablo, when they open their first Toronto location in May/April of 2017.
94. Drink at this new hidden bar in Toronto, if you have the right password.
95. Give "get a girl that can do both" a whole new meaning and attend one of these DIY workshops.
96.Check out Inland, the contemporary pop-up that features stunning Canadian designers creations
97. Get the JustTryIt gym class pass, which gives you 10 drop in classes at more than 45 gyms and fitness studios in the city
98. Catch the Canadian bad boy, aka Justin Bieber, live at the Rogers Centre on September 6thJustin Bieber, live at the Rogers Centre on September 6th.
100. Join the Toronto Soccer Meetup group to get your David Beckham on.
101. Head to these spots during TIFF in 2017 to meet your favourite celebrities.
102. Speaking of TIFF, why not sign up to volunteer and get closer to the stars than ever?
103. Rock side to side with Ariana Grande at the ACC on March 5th.
105. Hike the Scarborough Bluffs for some amazing views and a new way to see the city.
108. Go see the nine-time (9!!!) Tony Award-winning The Book of Mormon at the Princess of Wales Theatre starting this February.
110. Check out hip, fresh art at Art Toronto, Canada's international contemporary and modern art fair from October 27-30th.
111. Roll up the partition please and take a Beyography dance class.
113. Rendez-vous au Cine Franco! Le Festival international du film francophone.
114. Rock out to your teenage angst and see Simple Plan at the ACC March 14th!
115. Take the ultimate chocolate lovers tour of the city and make your way through this epic list!
116. See some of the best emerging Canadian Talent performing at the Disterilly District's Must City Summer Series ever Saturday this summer.
117. Head to the St. Lawrence Market not only for the fresh food in the city but for one of their amazing events, french cooking class anyone? Local artist market?
119. Want a new look this year? Why not mess around with the art of body painting by taking a class at the Alchemy Cente? That's wearing your he(art) right on your sleeve.
120. See some amazing designs out of the gallery and in the city during The Toronto Design Offsite Festival, it's Canada's largest cultural celebration of design that'll have you seeing the city in a whole new way.
121. Dance Yourself Clean on March 24th, this wild indie dance party is at Lee's Palace, a must hit for anyone in Toronto looking for a crazy alternative to their usual friday night club scene. Check out their other events here!
122. Make friends and volunteer at the same time by helping out with the Together Project, which matches Government-Assisted Refugees with welcome groups (ie. you and your fab friends) in Toronto.
123. FINALLY ride the Spadina Subway Extension, set to open at the end of 2017.
124. Find the real view that Drake was talking about at one of these Toronto restaurants.
125. TIFF is coming back on September 7th to 17th in 2017 and is bringing internationally renowned films and an A-list crew of your favourite celebs, get your cameras out and get ready.
126. Take a break from the city life and go on this incredible Onroad tripadtrip with your squad!
127. Go to OCAD this spring for their annual GradEx to see some amazing up and coming Toronto artists show off their best work.
128. Between January 27th and March 19th see the Disterilly District in a whole new light as it transforms into a huge open-air gallery with the Toronto Light Fest (now the light pun is funny, right?).
129. These drinks are as large as they are entertaining, and they aren't playing around, can you conquer the whole list in 2017?
130. Head to these karaoke bars with your friends to show off your skills and/or embarrass yourself - either way you'll have an amazing night.
131. Learn some new moves for the club at a drop in class at City Dance Corps.
132. GET READY FOR CARIBANA 2017! Stay tuned for all the info you need on one of the cities wildest celebrations here.
133. Treat yo'self to an amazing food tour by TO food tours! From Old Chinatown Food Tour to VIP Late Night Cocktails and Secret Bars they got you covered.
134. Step up your 'gram game in 2017 at these aesthetically appealing Toronto restaurants.
135. End your yoga class with a Shavasana and tour of a Toronto Brewery ft. a kick ass tasting with Detox to Retox monthly events.
136. Catch the next stage festival from The Toronto Fringe on January 4th-15th!
137. Go to the NEW Wet n'Wild, set to open in May 2017.
138. Tear up, jam out, and have a great night listening to the talented artist Passenger on March 15th.
139. Spend some quality time with the true love of your life, ie. your dog, and explore the best Toronto Parks to take your dog.
140. Be exposed to the amazing craft of Artist's Books with The Toronto Art Book Fair from June 15th-18th, it's a cool way to check out a different side of the Toronto Art Scene
141. Unleash your inner Zoolander and the 6th season of the Toronto Men's Fashion Week.
142. Treat your sweet tooth and head to the Sugarbush Maple Syrup Festival on March 4th to April 2nd!
143. Party with internationally famous art at AGO First Thursdays.
144. Why not make it a back to back party at Toronto Landmarks and party at the incredibly hip ROM Friday Night Live?
145. Network like a pro (or fake it till you make it) at the FFWD Advertising & Marketing Week January 30th to February 3rd.
146. YUM! Complete this Vegan bucket list with your plant-loving friends.
147. Get the Europe trip you've been dreaming (without leaving the city) by going to these stunning Toronto cafes!
148. Get your hustle on and learn how to make some extra cash with this list to fund your summertime concert splurge.
149. Go on a summer go-karting date with a view at Polson Pier!
150. Rock on and don't worry about what people think, this is your year.