Toronto is sometimes heralded as "the Broadway capital of the North" because our live theatre scene has skyrocketed within the past decade. In a world that is now seemingly dominated by technology and wireless conveniences, live theatre is a haven from the digital forces that rule over our lives.
That's why it's so important to support the theatre communities in our city. Several theatres in Toronto offer great deals for tickets. Here are 7 theatres in Toronto where you can watch a live show on a budget:
Buddies In Bad Times Theatre // 12 Alexander St
Buddies In Bad Times Theatre is a queer theatre company specializing in shows that question sexual and cultural norms. Their affordable ticket options are as follows:
- Rush Tickets - $20 rush tickets for select shows are available for purchase at noon on the day of the performance at their box office (usually Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays).
- Early Bird Specials - $25 each to any performance in their Mainstage season
- PWYC - pay-what-you-can for select Sunday afternoon performances on a first come, first serve basis at their box office.
- Groups of 10 or more will receive a 20% discount off of the regular student or adult ticket price.
Canadian Stage // 26 Berkeley St
Canadian Stage is a not-for profit contemporary theatre that holds everything from live plays, dance shows and opera. Their affordable ticket options are as follows:
- Rush Tickets - 50% off tickets when you purchase them one hour before the show time (these are limited)
- PWYC - a suggestion of $20 per person at the box office for Tuesday shows
- Under 30 Discount - if you're 29 or under, you can see shows for as little as $15 (taxes an fees included), as long as you bring your ID
- Arts Worker Discount - $22 for tickets if you work in the Arts industry, as long as you bring a record of proof
Factory Theatre // 125 Bathurst St
Factory Theatre was founded in 1970 and is committed to playing shows that feature Canadian stories and local voices. Their affordable ticket options are as follows:
- Rush Tickets - From Tuesday through Saturday, you can purchase tickets for $15 if they are available (this excludes previews and shows on opening night)
- PWYC - a suggestion of $15 per person at the box office for select Sunday matinee shows
Tarragon Theatre // 30 Bridgman Ave
Tarragon Theatre near Casa Loma was founded in 1970 and is a central hub for contemporary playwriting in Canada. Their affordable ticket options are as follows:
- Rush Tickets - $15 tickets for any performance (except shows on opening night) can be purchased if available at the box office
Photo cred - catillinaciceronis
Theatre Francais // 21 College St
Theatre Francais offers shows that feature French-Canadian culture. Though the shows are offered in French, over half of their live shows are provided with English subtitles. Their affordable ticket options are as follows:
- Rush Tickets - $20 for select Saturday evening shows at the box office (one hour before the show starts)
- PWYC - on Wednesdays you can buy tickets at the box office on a pay-what-you-can basis
- Under 30/Senior/Artist discount - see website for more information
- Previews - select previews are discounted; see website for more information
Theatre Passe Muraille // 16 Ryerson Ave
Theatre Passe Muraille is Canada's oldest alternative theatre that is devoted to Canadian work and artists. Their affordable ticket options are as follows:
- PWYC - a suggestion of $15 for Saturday and Sunday matinee shows at the box office
Soulpepper // 50 Tank House Lane
Soulpepper is a classical repertory theatre company that brings fresh interpretations to some of the greatest plays in history. Their affordable ticket options are as follows:
- Rush Tickets - $25 at the box office for adults, $5 at the box office for anyone 21 and under
ALSO: TOtix // 1 Dundas St E
TOtix is a great online resource for one-stop ticket shopping.
- 50% off and other discounts online for select shows
Follow us on Snapchat: narcitytoronto