30 Free Places To Go On The Perfect Date In Toronto
Can't buy me love.
So you've been talking to this Tinder dude or gal for a few weeks and you've decided it's finally time to meet up and go on a date. You don't want to take them somewhere that's too much because 1. it's only a first date and 2. ain't nobody got $$$ for that.
Or, you're a broke student couple who's stuck on ideas of things to do besides Netflix and chill. No matter what the reason, everyone loves doing free things so here's a list of a whole bunch of free places you can go on dates in the 6ix.
1. Pay a visit to Aga Khan Museum
Delve into Islamic arts and culture with your date at this fairly new museum. Admission is free every Wednesday from 4 to 8 P.M.
2. Hit up Riverdale Park for a spectacular view of the skyline
Somewhere with a nice view is always somewhere nice to take your date.
3. Explore the ginormous High Park
In the spring you can bask in the beautiful cherry blossoms and in the fall you can take in the fall foliage. There's also a free zoo you can check out.
4. Go back in history together at the Royal Ontario Museum
Be history nerds together at the ROM. Admission is free to post-secondary students every Tuesday (don’t forget to bring your student ID).
5. Check out ceramics at the Gardiner Museum
Admission is free for post-secondary students on Tuesdays (don’t forget your student ID).
6. Be bookworms together at the Toronto Reference Library
Couples who read together stay together.
7. Look at art at the Art Gallery of Ontario
Be an artsy couple and check out some art at the AGO. Admission is free Wednesdays from 6 to 8:30 P.M.
8. Have a picnic (and maybe a drink) at Trinity Bellwoods Park
Because picnic dates are always cute.
9. Explore Kensington Market and check out the street art
There's even that parking garage with the nice view of the skyline where you can sit and be cute.
10. Check out the street art in Graffiti Alley on Queen West
Another great place to check out street art. You and your date can take cute photos of each other or with each other.
11. Go star-gazing at U of T
What's sweeter than gazing at the stars with your date? The Department of Astronomy and Astrophysics at U of T hosts free AstroTours on the first Thursday of most months.
Photo cred – Brandy
12. Have a little taste of nature in the city at the Allan Gardens Conservatory
Walk hand-in-hand as you take in all the sights and smells of nature at Allan Gardens.
13. Go people watching at Yonge-Dundas Square
Make up little stories for everyone who walks by. It's actually a really fun activity so don't knock it 'til you try it.
14. Relax at Nathan Phillips Square
Maybe you could nap together inside a letter in the Toronto sign (since it's officially staying there, whoop whoop).
15. Go to a summer food festival
Taste of Lawrence, Night Market, Taste of Danforth... Need I say more?
16. Stay out all night at Nuit Blanche in the fall
Look at art all night with bae.
17. Watch some free screenings at the TIFF Bell Lightbox
TIFF hosts free screenings of various films here and there. If your date is a film enthusiast, they'll enjoy these.
18. Listen to some live music at the Drake Hotel
The Drake Hotel hosts some free live music shows throughout the month. It's a great place for a first date because if it gets awkward you can just stare at the band the entire time.
19. Check out some free concerts by the Canadian Opera Company
If you feel like listening to something a little different and more sophisticated, pay a visit to the Richard Bradshaw Amphitheatre.
Photo cred – Joseph Morris
20. See a live taping of a show at the CBC
Ever wanted to be part a live audience for a TV show? Be part of one with bae.
Photo cred – Shaheen Karolia
21. Go urban exploring in the Financial District
Are you both Insta-addicts or photography lovers? Go exploring around the Financial District and take sick Insta pics. Don't forget to visit Brookfield Place.
22. Explore St. Lawrence Market
You can go window shopping or real shopping together in the historic building.
23. Go back in history at the Distillery District
Stroll around the Distillery District, take in the beautiful historical architecture, and take a cute couple photo by the "LOVE" sign. There's also the Toronto Christmas Market that happens from November to December and that's free admission Tuesdays to Fridays.
24. Go skating in the winter at Nathan Phillips Square or Harbourfront
Every adorable couple's favourite winter activity.
25. See the city get lit for the holidays
Watch the city glow for the holidays with the annual lightings of the trees at Yonge-Dundas Square and Nathan Phillips Square. Illuminite happens at Dundas Square and Cavalcade of Lights happens at Nathan Phillips Square. You can hold hands and feel sparks of love while watching sparks of light.
26. Delve into different cultures at Harbourfront Centre
The Harbourfront Centre hosts all kinds of free cultural festivals throughout the year. Learn about each other's cultures or learn about new ones.
27. Take a romantic stroll along the waterfront
Romantic views in the 6ix.
28. Spend a day at the Toronto Islands in the summer
Get lost in the maze, relax on the beach, and check out the skyline with bae. If you're both comfortable being naked in public, you can go to the clothing optional beach, Hanlan’s Point.
29. Lay out in the sun at the Beaches in the summer
Hit up Moo Milk Bar for some ice cream sammies and cuddle on the beach.
30. Trek around the Scarborough Bluffs
The Bluffs are a beautiful place to explore no matter what the weather. Hike around in romance.