Sometimes I have this random urge to just hop into a car and drive somewhere. I love the city, but sometimes I just need to take a short a break from it. Day trips are a perfect way to do just that.
There are many places that are only 1 to 2 hours away from Toronto that are both fun and affordable to visit. Here are 6 of them for you to consider:
56 min from Toronto
1. Go on a waterfall hop across the region, making stops especially at Tiffany Falls, Webster's Falls, and Chedoke Falls.
2. Tour the waterfront on a 37-seater trackless trolley that follows a 12-km route.
$6 per adult
3. Get your skate on at the Hamilton Waterfront Outdoor Roller Rink.
$6.50 per adult for skate rentals
4. Grab a slice of some deep dish pizza from Chicago Style Pizza Shack.
$11+ for select menu items
5. Rent some bikes from Waterfront Wheels and ride through the entire Bayfront Park.
$8 per adult for bicycles, $14 per adult for tandems
1 h 17 mins from Toronto
1. Peruse St. Jacob's Farmers' Market for all kinds of cool stuff.
2. Look at some cool art pieces and installations at THEMUSEUM.
$12 per adult (14 years old and up), $5 Wednesdays
3. Rent a canoe from Canoeing The Grand and traverse the Grand River.
$15 per adult per hour
4. Take a nightly stroll through the beautiful town square in Uptown Waterloo.
5. Try out a new game from the Adventurer Guild Cafe's library of over 100 board, video and role-playing games.
$5 per person
1 h 34 min from Toronto
1. Go for a cellar floor experience at the Diamond Estates Winery.
$10 per person
2. Learn some history or go on a ghost walk at the Fort George National Historic Site.
$12 per adult standard tour; $15 per adult for ghost walks
3. Enjoy some live music at Queenston Heights Park.
Free concerts throughout July and August
4. Hike the 50-km Niagara Park Recreation Trail to completion.
5. View the beautiful heritage buildings, flower displays and specialty shops along Queen Street.
Peterborough and the Kawarthas
1 h 46 min from Toronto
1. Spelunk through the historic Warsaw Caves.
$6 per adult
2. Visit the Peterborough Lift Lock, the highest hydraulic lift lock in the world.
3. Meet monkeys, cougars, and a couple of other friendly animals at the Riverview Park and Zoo.
4. Be amazed at the breathtaking native murals at Petroglyphs Provincial Park.
$11 per vehicle
5. Go on an artistic journey through the art exhibitions at the Art Gallery of Peterborough.
Photo cred - snugshine21
2 h 7 mins from Toronto
1. Wade in the warm, shallow waters or get tanning on the sand.
2. Grab a tasty seafood lunch at Catch 22 Grill.
$10+ on select menu items
3. Challenge your friends at a R/C car race at Hand Racing.
$10 after 5 pm or $20 to play all day
4. Try out laser combat sports at the Wasaga Paintball facility.
$15 per adult (min 10 players)
5. Grab a cold beer or mixed drink at Banana's Beach Bar.
$7 to $15 drinks
Prince Edward County
2 h 15 min from Toronto
1. Get day drunk off wine tastings at Prince Edward County Wine.
$2 - $4 tastings
2. Visit the infamous sand dunes at Sandbanks Provincial Park.
3. Pick your own apples and berries at Campbell's Orchards.
See website for more details
4. Browse through the odd antiques at Dead People's Stuff.
5. Visit the Lavender Farm for some great photo ops.
$2 per person
Follow us on Snapchat: narcitytoronto