Regina isn't your typical city. Most of the time, it's because it feels more like a really big small town than it does a thriving metropolis. We don't know what it's like to take the metro to work, to go out every night of the week, and to take part in exciting events like a Beyonce concert or a rooftop party.
But we do get to drive ourselves around wherever we want, hang out at the same pub regularly with our friends and celebrate the fact that we're finally getting an H&M. To a big city person, Regina might seem a little bit weirder than your average city but it just isn't like us to follow suit, we kinda like to do our own thing when it feels right for us.
Sometimes, that can really confuse the f*ck out of people who aren't from Regina though but it just ends up giving us a good laugh because it's things like this are just normal everyday life for us:
1. We complain that a 20-minute drive across the entire city is sooo far
Meanwhile, commuting for over an hour is perfectly normal in bigger cities.
2. Regina is practically a ghost town every evening from Monday-Wednesday
Unless there's some sort of major event happening.
3. Driving on City Square Plaza even though it's a pedestrian walking area
This still confuses the f*ck out of us but we've gotten used to it.
4. We worship the Saskatchewan Roughriders like they're the Holy Grail
Don't you dare make a Darian Durant joke right now.
5. We rarely use our city's transportation services
It's faster to get around if we just drive ourselves places.
6. There's only one university and it's the University of Regina
And it's the place we go to hang out with our high school friends all over again.
7. We don't know where suburbs like White City actually are
If it takes longer than 10 minutes to get there, it might as well be across the world.
8. Getting through Regina airport security in under 10 minutes is normal
Unless everyone and their dog is going to Mexico on the same day.
9. Going to Craven every summer just so we can get drunk out of our minds and roll around in the mud
And pretend to like country music.
10. Getting outside of the city means a two hour trip to Saskatoon
It's the only other place in the province with an above average shopping mall.
11. We're five years behind on getting anything that's considered trendy
Our first H&M ever is opening soonish, NBD.
12. Meeting new people and then realizing you already have 30 mutual friends in common
Omg, you know Rebecca too? No way.
13. We find it odd when someone chooses to move to Regina from somewhere that is way cooler
So, what made you want to come here? *perplexed expression*
14. We never experience large groups of tourists visiting our city
Unless those tourists are in fact Canadian geese stopping by Wascana on their way through.
15. When we get all the major country stars to perform in Regina but no one else
Beyonce is way too good for us.
16. Not going to the bars on the Dewdney Strip once we reach our mid 20's
We spent too much time there in our early 20's and it's gotten old.
17. Realizing that there is a ridiculous amount of people who wear Silver jeans
And if it's not Silver jeans, it's Wranglers.
18. Frequently missing out on things because we never knew it was happening in the first place
You'd think for a small city we'd know what's going on but we don't.
19. Complaining about how much we don't like Regina but not doing anything about it
You know we're all guilty of this one.