This article was originally published in July 2018.

Everyone loves spending a relaxing weekend down by the lake, enjoying the sunshine and taking a break from the busy city away at a cottage. Or is it a cabin? A chalet? 

Turns out Canadians can't agree on what that beloved lakeside summer home is called, and it has at least five different names depending what part of the country you're in. 

Canadian terms for that summer building by the lake. from r/canada

According to a map posted on Reddit, it's the most regionally varied term in Canada. In the West, they call it a "cabin." In Northern Ontario, it's "camp," but in Southern Ontario and parts of the East Coast, it's a "cottage." In Quebec, it's named a "chalet." Lastly and most interestingly, in parts of Nova Scotia, it's a "bungalow."

The map is colour coded as well, with some lighter shades showing less frequency in the use of a certain term in a region. 

Of all the terms, cottage and cabin take the lead for most users. While cottage doesn't look like it has a lot of area on the map, it's important to note that Southern Ontario is one of the most populated areas in the country, and that's why the term is used so much more. 

Chalet, on the other hand, is used to refer to a cottage only in Quebec, which makes sense since the word is originated from the French word "chasel," which comes from the Latin word for cottage. 

Whether it's a cottage, camp, or bungalow, Canadians everywhere flock to them as soon as they can. Make the most of your lakeside living this summer! 

Comments are now closed.
Account Settings
Share Feedback
Log Out

Register this device to receive push notifications