23 Struggles Every Forever 21 Employee Knows All Too Well
Working at Forever 21 can be great! You work with a lot of other people since the stores are generally gigantic--so you’re bound to make some amazing friends. Plus, an employee discount never hurts.
However, as with every job, it’s certainly not always sunshine and rainbows. And at the end of the day, laughing at the little things that annoy you, can make you feel a lot better about them (something about it being the best medicine…). And to all the Forever 21 employees, you’re not alone in your frustrations. Many others feel your pain!
So without further ado, here are some of the struggles Forever 21 employees know all too well.
1. When a customer is angry because our website has an item that they can’t find in store.
We have SO many items online, and we cannot physically carry all of them at the same time. Have you seen how crowded our clothing racks are already??
Which brings us to our next point…
2. When you’re trying to tidy up the section of the store you’re in charge of, but you cannot hang the clothes on the rack because it’s already too crowded.
WHYYY?!?! Why so many clothes?! ?
3. When you forget to take off your Forever 21 lanyard at the end of your shift.
It's become a permanent part of me now.
4. Spending an hour folding the “jeans table” so that it looks immaculately clean and organized.
You: *looks at table with pride and feels a deep sense of accomplishment*
Customer: * immediately rushes up to table and messes it up*
5. When you're not at work but tend to see the yellow Forever 21 plastic bag wherever you go.
No matter where you go in life, you will often see that yellow bag. You cannot run from that yellow bag.
6. When it’s Black Friday and the amount of customers make you feel like you’re in a mosh pit.
I’ve forgotten what it was like to be able to breathe easily.
7. When it’s near Christmas and the crowds of shoppers are consistently overwhelming. Every shift.
There’s normal shopping crowds, and then there’s Forever 21 shopping crowds. It’s a world of a difference.
8. And then Boxing Day comes along...
Let's see how many people we can fit inside the store before no one is able to move at all.
9. When it’s FINALLY your lunch break, but after you’ve already clocked out, a customer begins to approach you.
*avoids eye contact entirely*
*runs out of the store because you only have 30 min to wait in a large lineup to get your food, and then eat said food*
10. When working in the fitting rooms (aka fits) is a low-key cardio workout.
*walks back and forth all day*
Hey, even though you can no longer feel your legs, you can now avoid spending money on a gym membership.
11. When you have an overnight shift to help revamp the store.
Beginning of shift: *drinks coffee* "I got this!"
End of shift: "I never want to see another item of clothing ever again."
12. When you do your walk-through of the store at the start of your shift to get a better feel for where things are.
But you spend the whole time looking at the new items you now want to buy for yourself.
13. When you feel personally insulted because you have to work as a greeter OR in the jewelry/accessories section.
Why do you hate me? What have I done to deserve this?
14. When you're a greeter and most people ignore you as you say "Hi" or "Welcome to Forever 21!".
My self confidence will take years to recover from this.
15. When you explain to every customer at cash that we can only do exchanges and store credits (it's a company policy that is on every receipt and verbally told to every customer at the cash registers).
Customer: "I demand a refund"
*brings in sweater that's clearly been worn several times, without the tags...and from last year's collection*
16. When you're pretty sure the Forever 21 playlist is permanently embedded in your head.
You will spend the rest of your life cringing when you hear any song from that playlist (considering you listened to those exact same songs over and over again for the duration of all your shifts).
17. When closing the store takes much longer here than in most other retail stores.
Large store+ TONNES of clothes + lots of shoppers = giant mess at the end of the day.
18. Due to the perpetually busy state of the store, you will have multiple people ask you for help at the same time.
"There's only so much I can do at once!"
(it should be noted that you may experience slight feelings of panic whenever you hear the words "excuse me" from now on).
19. When you finally close the store but have to spend time fending off the customers that are still trying to get inside.
"I'd love to let you in, but we've been here for a LONG time and we really need to get home because we have lives too...and buying that skirt can wait till tomorrow."
20. When the swimwear comes in, and it feels like you're spending years of your life tying bikini strings.
Can string bikini's go out of style, so I don't have to keep tying these up?!? ?
21. When you walk into other Forever 21 stores and begin mentally naming their clothing sections.
Oh this here must be '"city slick", right beside "grunge girl" (names change very often).
22. When you get used to the store sections and finally have an idea of where things are.
...and then you walk into work to see that the entire store has been changed from yesterday's overnight shift ?
23. When you hear the same joke more often than you'd like.
Customer: "I'm not 21 anymore, can I still shop here?" *giggles uncontrollably*