20 Things Every Broke Toronto Student Will Never Admit They’ve Done
#7 Eating leftover Halloween candy for dinner.
Photo cred - The Guardian
Sometimes you actually have to decide between having enough to buy a Timmies bagel or paying a fare to go home. It's not fair that in the peak of our youth we have to be so broke. I mean we are actually paying tuition to be poor, we brought it upon ourselves. But a true city kid knows how to survive on less and less. Even though we say we are broke, this is how broke we actually are between school payments, coffee, transportation, food, and textbooks...
1. Getting extra TTC transfers at subway stations just in case you lose the first
You cannot afford to pay another fare, no way.
2. Going to boring events for food i.e. art galleries and your friend's project launch parties
You love your friends, but you love food more.
3. Meeting a really sketchy person from Kijiji, not even bothering with the campus book store prices
Ain't nobody got time to sell a kidney to pay for edumacation.
4. Doing a mental dance in your head when your debit card approves
Sometimes you actually think its a mistake because you spent $300 at Forever 21 yesterday.
5. Using the same disposable razor for 3 months
As long as it works, thats all that counts.
6. Adding water to hygiene items
Not sure you if forgot to go shopping for toiletries or are just too poor.
7. Eating leftover Halloween candy for dinner
Food is food. Tummy aches can be dealt with later.
8. Not going to events because you can't afford TTC
"I have a test tomorrow, sorry can't make it" or "I'm sick because I ate all that Halloween candy for dinner last night".
9. Buying your friends a cupcake with one candle instead of an actual cake with 20 somethings
...pair it was a handmade card too to be more "personal".
10. Using toilet paper as tissues and paper towel
It is actually painful when you get sick.
Photo cred - bitrebels
11. Using boxes as furniture
The butt just needs rest, doesn't matter what surface.
12. Begging and crying to not get a ticket
"Officer its not my fault, the tears in my eyes because I'm broke clouded my vision".
13. Pretending to enjoy really bad drinks at bars because they are the cheapest
Yes, I'll have the best, strongest.... cheapest beer, please.
14. Not letting your friends post a picture of an event on Instagram because you have to wear the same dress again...5 more times.... in the same month
DELETE THAT PICTURE RIGHT NOW, GIRL.
Photo cred - Reddit
15. Refusing to check your bank account
Why would you want to be reminded of how much money you don't have???
16. Going on Tinder dates for a free meal
We've all done it, please.
17. Actually getting emotional when you lose a "free coffee coupon"
18. Can’t afford a USB so you Facebook message yourself all the files
19. Mastering the "OMG I'm so sorry, I totally forgot it was the first of the month to get my metro pass" to the bus drivers
20. Wearing everything in your closet before doing laundry
Or making a big smelly pile to take home at the end of the month so mama can do it for free.