A 16-year-old teen from British Columbia died suddenly during a class trip to Hornby Island and the reason why is shocking.

Sara Manitoski, 16, was on a class trip to Hornby Island in 2017 when she died during her sleep. The coroner just revealed the shocking reason why she died so suddenly. According to the coroner's report, Manitoski died from Toxic Shock Syndrome due to Staphylococcus aureus. 

@tampaxembedded via  

Toxic Shock Syndrome (TSS) is a rare syndrome that occurs when toxins made by certain strains of Staphylococcus aureus bacteria get into the bloodstream. The most common way for this to happen is when girls or women use a tampon, usually during their period and it's left inside of the body for too long. 

When we were younger, most people didn't bother reading the fine print when it came to using feminine hygiene products. We knew how to use them and that they're only supposed to be in the body for a few hours.

@tampaxembedded via  

It wasn't until deaths related to TSS became more well known that the general public began to take TSS seriously. 

The coroner's report stated that the "microbiology cultures completed on a tampon found in place identified the presence of Staphylococcus aureus. Both findings are consistent with toxic shock syndrome."

@ubykotexembedded via  

Although the tampon isn't the direct cause of Manitoski's death, the use of the tampon is definitely related to her death. The coroner explained that TSS can occur without a tampon, but the risk of TSS is definitely increased when you are using a tampon. 

This is another reminder to be safe and extra cautious if you are habitually using feminine hygiene products, especially tampons.

Source: Global News

Comments are now closed.
Account Settings
Share Feedback
Log Out

Register this device to receive push notifications