Calgary may be known for its famous stampede, but it was also going to play host to another big event: the Winter X Games. While the city was slated to host the event next year, the new provincial funding cuts from Alberta's Conservative government mean there will likely be no Calgary X Games in 2020.\nCalgary was announced as the host city for the X Games in March 2019, while Rachel Notley was premier and the NDP was the leading party. They had pledged $13.5 million over three years to help the city host the sporting event that features snowboarding and skiing competitions.\nHowever, in the latest provincial budget released by Jason Kenney and the United Conservative Party, that funding was no longer being made available to the city. Calgary itself was investing $5.4 million in the plan over a period of three years.\nThe cut for funding the X Games was part of a larger round of budget cuts made by the UCP across Alberta. The X Games were estimated to have brought $75 million in revenue to the city of Calgary.\n"The economic spinoffs are significant and support our plans for tourism and economic development," Calgary Mayor Naheed Nenshi said in a statement from March 2019.\nWith provincial funding for the games now cut, the 2020 X Games will likely not be taking place. However, Mayor Nenshi had previously expressed in June that it was possible the games would not be in the city until 2021.\nProvince pulls $13.5-million funding and that might kill Calgary's hope's of hosting X Games. https://t.co/QbjnEVYE3D— Harold Pliszka (@hpliszka) October 27, 2019\n"I want to remind everyone that the X Games is a multi-year prospect," Nenshi said, according to the Calgary Herald. "The hope is to start in 2020, but there was always the consideration that it might have to start in 2021."\nCalgary city councillor Ward Sutherland had said in March 2019 that he wanted Calgary to have more going on than just the stampede.\nManifesto and @insightprod have secured the exclusive rights for Calgary to host the first-ever X Games in Canada and funding from the Government of Alberta for the next three years! Looking forward to working with corporate partners to build a solid foundation! #BuiltToLast pic.twitter.com/k0nZFMZvNk— Russell Reimer (@Manifesto_Sport) March 13, 2019\n"We want this to be permanent. We want to be a two-event city," Sutherland said, according to Global News, "so we’d have the Stampede during the summer and the X Games during the winter."\nThe week continues, secured rights to the X Games for 3 years. Big step for YYC becoming a two event city ! Stampede/X Games! With BMO expansion complete, second anchor Event Centre is needed to support these events. @TourismCalgary @calgarystampede pic.twitter.com/oNJWjpwPAr— Ward Sutherland (@Ward4Ward1) March 13, 2019\nHowever, Sutherland no longer seems to think that the 2020 games can take place in the city without proper funding from the province.\n"It’s definitely too late for 2020," Sutherland told the Calgary Herald. "I’m not sure we have the funds available."\nNarcity has reached out to Tourism Calgary, the Mayor of Calgary, and the X Games for comment and we will update the article should we receive relevant information.\nDisclaimer: Cover photo used for illustrative purposes only.\nThere are stories everywhere. If you spot a newsworthy event in your city, send us a message, photo, or video @NarcityCanada on Twitter and Instagram.