3 Canadian Meat Companies Got Shut Down By The Government Because Of All The Recalls
They gave "false or misleading" information.
The October recalls of beef and veal products in Canada were significant, to say the least. Enough so, that the Canadian Food Inspection Agency had to take some serious action. Canada's beef recall has resulted in three companies losing their Safe Food for Canadians licenses, essentially shutting them down.
Ryding-Regency Meat Packers LTD., Canadian Select Meats Inc., and The Beef Boutique LTD. ( both operating under St. Ann's Foods Inc), all lost their licenses. During the initial inspections, the licenses were only suspended. The companies are all based in Toronto.
According to a press release from the CFIA, the agency had received "false or misleading information" during lab results that identified E. coli contamination from all three companies. Theresulted in the removal of 927 products from Canadian stores.
By providing false information, all three companies were found in violation of section 15 of the Safe Food for Canadians Act.
Safe Food for Canadians licenses are part of that same act, which received royal assent on November 22, 2012.
According to the CFIA, the act "makes food as safe as possible for Canadian families protects consumers by targeting unsafe practices, and implements tougher penalties for activities that put health and safety at risk."
All three companies were informed of the grounds for losing their licenses on October 22, 2019, and were given a chance to make their cases heard by the CFIA.
By losing their licenses, these three companies are no longer allowed to slaughter animals or package meat products for commercial sale or export.
No illnesses related to thewere reported in Canada, according to the CFIA's own November 6 report.
The CFIA has also noted that there are no more recalls expected in relation to this investigation.
The initial recall came at a time when the CFIA had issued, all in one week. Along with the contaminated beef, in another recall, some prepared chicken products were taken off of shelves due to Listeria contamination.