Edmonton's 100-year-old Sacred Heart Church of the First Peoples burst into flames on Sunday, August 30, and officials say sage is the cause. 

The fire department said that the church fire broke out after a smudging ceremony involving herbs and cedar was done inside the church. 


Value of damages 

The fire department said the ashes from the ritual were incorrectly thrown out in a metal coffee can. This eventually caught on fire. 

No one was injured. It took firefighters nearly seven hours to extinguish the flames. 

Since 1991, the church has been a "Catholic gathering place" for Indigenous Edmontonians. 

Via CBC News
Comments are now closed.
Account Settings
Share Feedback
Log Out

Register this device to receive push notifications