Canadian Forces Helicopter Crash Remains Are Coming Home But Weren't Identified Yet
The recovery effort has ended.
Canada has already faced its share of adversity in 2020. The Canadian Forces helicopter crash that occurred in April only added to that. While one member's remains were already brought home, more will be making their way back.
During a June 3 press conference at the Canadian military dockyard in Halifax, Rear-Admiral Craig Baines, along with Colonel James Hawthorne, provided an update on recovery efforts.
"At 10 AM Atlantic time yesterday, the decision was made to conclude the recovery operation that was conducted by a combined Canadian Armed Forces and United States Navy team," Baines said.
He continued saying that over an 8-day operation above, the helicopter was located, and some remains were recovered, along with pieces of the aircraft that will be used in the flight safety investigation.
Baines noted that the remains have not yet been identified, and he could not say whether everyone had been found.
"This will only be determined once the remains have been brought to Toronto, where any positive identification, as well as confirmation of the number of personnel found, will be done using scientific methods by a forensic pathologist," he said.
Baines said that once this information was confirmed, the identities of the deceased will be released first to the families, and then to the press.
While taking questions from reporters, Baines said that the remains are expected to arrive in Toronto some time this weekend.
Earlier in May, the remains of, who was aboard the aircraft when it crashed, were at CFB Trenton. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Defense Minister Harjit Sajjan were in attendance.
Baines also confirmed during his update that there were still larger pieces of the helicopter that were not recovered from the crash site due to safety concerns for the teams working there.