Nova Scotia Power Is Getting Roasted After Thousands Of Canadians Are Still In The Dark
So far power is only 50% restored.
Hurricane Dorian has left Nova Scotia without power, at least a lot of it. The province is still dealing with the mess of the passing storm, and while crews are working diligently to clear debris, thousands of residents are still without power as of Sept. 9.
According to a tweet from the utility, they have restored power to roughly 50 percent of homes that lost it during the storm. Crews from Maine have also driven across the border in order to provide assistance in restoring power to the province.
However, Nova Scotia Power is receiving criticism online for its slow response to the situation. Schools across the province, as well as some businesses, have had to remain closed due to power outages. Cape Breton has been reported as the last location in the province that will have its power restored.
Much of the criticism drew attention to the fact that Nova Scotia Power is now privately owned after being sold off by the province. The utility has received criticism in the past for a number of blackouts and power outages that occurred across the province.
Nova Scotia was hit hard by Hurricane Dorian. Powerful winds and rain caused property damage across the province, in one instance. Even after the storm passed, residents were dealing with downed power lines, construction debris, and fallen trees.
Some residents of New Brunswick, Newfoundland, and Prince Edward Island have also found themselves without power. 21,000 homes in PEI alone are still left in the dark.
Karen Hutt, the president of Nova Scotia Power, told CBC News that restoration to some parts of the province was going to take even more time than people might want. "There are certain parts of Halifax that I can say, having seen it first hand, that there are some very complex restorations that need to occur," she said.
Disclaimer: Cover photos used for illustrative purposes only.