Tragic news has been announced this week as a 7-year-old Canadian girl from Granby died from her injuries after being poorly treated by her father and step-mother. She was reportedly found in her father's home in poor condition on Monday before spending the last 24 hours of her life in critical condition at the hospital. The Sûreté du Québec have now taken charge of the investigation.

Warning: This article contains graphic content that might not be suitable for some readers.

According to TVA, The 7-year-old girl died after she was reportedly tied and gagged for hours while locked in her room. It is reported that the girl was tied up because she was too agitated. Police were called to the residence before noon on Monday where they discovered the girl in critical condition. 

Charges of both kidnapping and aggravated assault have been laid against the mother-in-law while the father has been charged with unlawful confinement. Now that the victim has died, these charges may worsen.  The Crown has opposed their release and they can not have any contact with their other children at the moment.  

Now people are looking at possible signs that something was wrong here a long time ago. For example, it is reported by CBC that the father had removed the girl from her school, even after her grandparents had reported their suspicions about the girl's father. 

According to TVA, many members of the 7-year-old girl family knew that her father and step-mother were dangerous. Her uncle claims that they had often been worried about the child's safety and knew it was dangerous to leave her with her father, but doesn't go into details about what made it so dangerous. 

He states that several relatives had attempted to get the girl out of the father's residence in the past, but have not been successful in doing so. 

This also isn't the first time that this 7-year-old girl was abused. In 2018 the step-mother was found guilty of assaulting the girl. A crisis unit had also been sent to the girl's former school in the past as well. 

Given all the possible warning signs, police are now looking into why this situation wasn't handled any sooner. According to CBC, the premier states that they are going to ensure that an incident like this does not occur again and they will look into the youth protection system that is currently in place. 

Premier Francois Legault and the government have since said that they wish to know more about the youth protection agency and how they handled this case. 

Editor's Note: You can read the original version of this story published in French here

Comments are now closed.
Account Settings
Share Feedback
Log Out

Register this device to receive push notifications