This week, a 7-year-old Canadian girl from Granby died from her injuries after she was found in poor condition under the care of her father and step-mother. The girl was rushed to a local hospital where she succumbed to her injuries on Tuesday. While no murder charged have been laid on the suspects, they are expected to appear back in court by the end of this month. 

Warning: This article contains graphic content that might not be suitable for some readers.

Narcity recently reported on the case, saying the girl was found in poor condition in a house in Granby before being transported to the hospital. It is reported that the girl was discovered after she was locked in her room, tied and gagged for hours. Allegedly, the girl was bound because her parents found her to be too agitated. 

At the moment, the father is facing charges for unlawful confinement and the step-mother is facing charges for kidnapping and aggravated assault. No murder charges have been laid at this time. 

Now, CBC has confirmed that this isn't the first time that this Granby girl has been assaulted by her step-mother and that she actually faced assault charged back in 2017. 

The 35-year-old step-mother faced charged back in September 2017 after she pleaded guilty to assault and admitted in court that she had hit the little girl in the back of her head and pulled her hair. 

In the testimony, the father had admitted that the two of them had gone out for a night of drinking. Upon returning home the couple had gotten into an argument and the step-mother was reported to have taken her frustrations out on the girl. 

However, during the testimony in June 2018, the father defended the step-mother, stating that the situation was complicated. According to the father and step-mother, the girl was 'difficult' and they felt that they were unable to handle her. 

According to CBC, the step-mother was granted a discharge on the conditions that she would not be able to see the child again. Due to this, the father was forced to move away from his partner with his daughter into another home with his friends.  

Later in the year, the father reached out to youth protection authorities and begged to be able to allow the couple to see each other as he was having financial difficulties. Eventually, this was granted and the step-mother was able to see the girl again, despite previously admitting to abusing her. 

However, CBC also reports this wasn't the first time that the father had reached out to youth protection authorities. According to the father, he had reached out multiple times for help because he found his daughter too difficult to manage. 

The youth protection authorities prescribed the girl medication which helped her to sleep, but the father claimed that it did not help with her behavioral issues. 

The couple is expected to appear back in court on May 23. 

Comments are now closed.
Account Settings
Share Feedback
Log Out

Register this device to receive push notifications