McGill University's Weird Obsession With Samosas Was Just Shut Down By Health Inspectors
Students will have to wait at least a month to buy samosas again.
The eating habits of university students have long been something to marvel at. One Canadian university has a school-wide obsession with samosas that recently met a tragic end. Selling samosas at McGill University has been shut down and students are mourning the loss.
Students at McGill are going to have to wait a while to start buying samosas for cheap on campus again. Student groups that usually sell samosas to hungry students for only a dollar are being told to stop all food sales after health inspectors shut down a samosa sale on October 22.
Food inspectors with the city of Montreal closed a samosa sale at Burnside Hall in McGill's downtown campus. The inspectors weren't at the school to look at the samosas specifically, they were there for a regular inspection of the campus cafeteria but they spotted the samosa sale during their visit.
The shut down has students in their feelings about their beloved samosas.
"I'm really upset they're gone. There's tens of thousands of students on campus, and samosas were really the one thing that really united the student body," Declan Gleason, McGill student, told the CBC.
The samosa obsession at McGill runs deep and both current and former students took to Twitter to express how they're feeling about this loss.
The Students' Society of McGill University (SSMU) cancelled all food sales and is now creating new guidelines that student groups will have to follow if they want to sell food.
Those guidelines will include permits for food sales, using gloves and hairnets and keeping the samosas warm with a hot plate.
Two of those guidelines solve issues that inspectors saw when they were on campus.
A spokesperson for the city of Montreal told CBC that since the samosas have cooked vegetables, they "must be sold hot or cold, and not at room temperature."
The spokesperson also said that the samosas can't be served by hand because of possible contamination and customers have to be offered utensils to eat them with.
"You look at people getting random stomach aches on campus, [and] you chalk it up to stress. But if you took a deeper look, like some of those are going to be caused by improper food management," said Adam Gwiazda-Amsel, vice president external at SSMU, to CBC Montreal's Daybreak.
The samosas were being sold out of a cardboard box that the student groups got from the food's distributor and were being served to students on pages from the student newspaper.
Inspectors issued a warning that if any club doesn't abide by Quebec's food standards, the club could be fined thousands of dollars.
Despite the health concerns, students are more concerned about not getting their samosa fix, regardless of how it was served.
"The McGill community is largely multicultural, and we have people from different ethnicities, and so samosas are a really big part of that. It means a lot to us — and yeah, we're really passionate about it," McGill student Arshia Kakkar told CBC.
The SSMU said that samosa sales should be up and running again sometime next month; however, they will have to follow the new guidelines to avoid a fine.