It looks like some people did get an emergency alert after all. American citizens living in Nova Scotia received alerts of an active shooter from the U.S. Consulate on the morning of April 19. The consulate sent emails while the RCMP reportedly used Twitter to alert residents in the province to the Nova Scotia shooting.

On April 19, residents in the town of Portapique, Nova Scotia, experienced Canada's deadliest mass shooting in history.

The RCMP has since faced some backlash from Canadians after the service did not send out emergency alerts to devices instead of through social media.

But it seems some people in the province did get a government warning, just not from the Canadian government.

The U.S. Consulate General Halifax was able to release a statement and email it to American residents living in Nova Scotia to alert them to the present danger.

The warning asked them "to avoid Portapique Beach Road, Bay Shore Road, Five Houses Road, and the surrounding areas and stay in their homes."

CBC's Elizabeth Chiu shared one experience of a dual Canadian-American citizen who reportedly received the email at about 10 a.m. on Sunday morning, around 11 to 12 hours after the shooting spree had started.

According to the National Post, Nova Scotia Premier Stephen McNeil was asked the reasoning behind not issuing an emergency alert. He explained that emergency officials couldn’t push out the alert until the RCMP prepared a message that was approved.

“The lead agency is the one that has to put the message together. We would not go from what’s happening by Twitter, we would need the lead agency to actually craft the message so that we could put that out. No message was received, even though [Emergency Management Office] had reached out a number of times throughout the morning to the RCMP,” said Premier McNeil during a press conference.

During another press conference, Chief Superintendent Chris Leather said that the RCMP had relied on Twitter to get the message out because of the "instantaneous manner that we can communicate."

"We have thousands of followers in Nova Scotia and felt that it was a superior way to communicate this ongoing threat," said Leather.

The RCMP was also in the process of preparing an emergency alert when the gunman was killed, according to CTV News.

The rampage lasted 13.5 hours.

As of April 22, it has been confirmed that 23 people have died during the shooting, including the gunman himself. 

Comments are now closed.
Account Settings
Share Feedback
Log Out

Register this device to receive push notifications