The saga continues in Ontario, with another new development. It looks like the province will be going back to the drawing board with the new licence plates, although they have not yet given a timeline as to when that will be happening. The Ontario licence plate recall has been confirmed by Conservative House Leader Paul Calandra, though, just days after the government was insisting there were no issues.

"Are the licence plates a problem? Absolutely. We procured something with 3M; we expect them to fix the problem," Calandra told reporters at Queens Park on Thursday, CBC News reports.

"We bought something and we want them to fix it and it is obviously very, very important to us — the safety and security of Ontarians."

According to The Canadian Press via Global News, Calandra admitted that the province is still dispensing the faulty plates despite the known concerns. 

However, they will move forward with the recall process once they've straightened out the issues with the manufacturer, 3M Canada. 

No kind of specific timeline has been given.

The government is unable to estimate how many of them have already gone out. The distribution process began in early February, Global reports. 

Since then, people have been taking to social media to express their dissatisfaction.

The province-wide scheme has been a running joke since an off-duty police officer posted a picture online of the "unreadable" plates in a seemingly decently-lit parking lot.

And the Ford government has now had to admit the manufacturing issues are, in fact, valid.

At first, they had stood by their plates, defending that they were totally readable, before backtracking on that statement and admitting that they are, in fact, not.

And, on Wednesday, the PC party finally admitted that they are working to fix the manufacturing flaws and has acknowledged that it is "listening" to the public.

However, the province has blamed manufacturer 3M for the issue.

On Thursday, 3M Canada told CBC it's working with the Ontario government to fix the problems.

"We stand behind our products and are actively providing solutions to the Ontario Government to address the readability issue as quickly as possible," the company said.

Meanwhile, Green Party Leader Mike Schreiner told CTV News: "It's completely unacceptable that they’re handing out plates that they know are defective. They’re knowingly causing a public safety issue. It’s completely reckless and irresponsible."

The province reportedly has a supply of the older licence plate models, although they are hoping not to have to resort to bringing those back into circulation. 

Narcity reached out to Doug Ford's office for comment but had not heard back at the time of writing. 

Comments are now closed.
Account Settings
Notifications
Favourites
Share Feedback
Log Out

Register this device to receive push notifications