Another Ontario nail salon has re-closed their doors. Kingdom Nails & Spa in Kingston confirmed on June 27 that a member of staff had tested positive for COVID-19, and confirmed that the salon would remain closed until further notice. This is the second nail salon in Kingston to close in less than a week, due to concerns about COVID-19 outbreaks.\nIn a Facebook post on June 27, Kingdom Nails & Spa confirmed that a member of their staff had tested positive for COVID-19.\nSharing the news, the company explained, “We are taking this matter very seriously and are working with KFLA Health Unit to ensure everyone’s safety.”\nThe notice continues, “Although we have passed all regulations and did not violate and safety measures, we feel that it is our responsibility to ensure that this will not happen again.”\nThe location will now remain closed until public health officials give them the go-ahead to reopen.\n“We are very sorry that this has happened and hope no one has been affected by this,” reads the post.\nThis comes just days after another Kingston nail salon confirmed an outbreak of COVID-19.\nPer CTV News, six out of 10 employees at Binh’s Nail and Spa Salon tested positive last week, as well as three customers and seven of their “close contacts.”\nTo all our valued Kingdom Nails costumers:\n\nIt has recently been brought to our attention that one of our staff has...Posted by Kingdom Nails & Spa on Saturday, June 27, 2020\nIn an update to their original Facebook post, Kingdom Nails & Spa confirmed a connection between the two salons.\n“Many of you may have saw the outbreak in Binh’s Nails and Spa. Our employee rents from them, which is how they got in contact,” the notice explains.\n“We do not blame anyone for being angry for having been in contact with the virus nor do we blame anyone for bringing it to our business,” the post says.\nOver 500 clients were asked to quarantine for two weeks and check for COVID-19 symptoms after visiting Binh's Nail and Spa between June 12 and June 24.\nIn a Facebook post, the owner wrote, “We apologize sincerely to anyone affected by this terrible situation."\n"We understand our words will never repair this situation however we hope you can understand that we are all learning in this new normal of a world and we tried our best to safely operate,” the notice said.\nBinh's Nail and Spa | Facebook\nPer eastern Ontario’s reopening plan, beauty salons, barber shops, spas and hairdressers were allowed to reopen on June 12.\nBoth salons closed again around two weeks after reopening.