Ontario’s highways have already seen 26 deaths within the first two weeks of the new year, which represents a staggering 271 per cent increase compared to the same period in 2017.\nOPP Sgt. Kerry Schmidt believes that all collisions are “100-percent preventable” and that the fatalities this year had nothing to do with the harsh weather. Instead, aggressive and impaired driving, as well as wearing no seatbelts, were the top causes.\n“Poor roads and poor weather conditions do not cause crashes. Poor drivers cause crashes,” he said. “It’s completely unacceptable.”\n26 people have died on provincial roads so far this year. An increase of 271% from 2017.\nSave a life. #DriveSafe #OPPStats pic.twitter.com/zjc9E26Gba\n— Sgt Kerry Schmidt (@OPP_HSD) January 15, 2018\nSchmidt posted a video on his Twitter account in hopes that it would raise awareness for safe driving practices on Ontario highways. With much of the winter left, he encourages drivers to be aware of their actions on the road and to be mindful of the possible consequences of poor driving habits.\nOPP released these statistics in good time, as the province will soon roll out a new law that will punish distracted drivers with licence suspensions and hefty fines of $1,000 or more.\nFB PUSH: “Poor roads and weather conditions do not cause crashes Poor drivers cause crashes,” says OPP Sgt Kerry Schmidt on the 271% increase in highway deaths this year.