It looks like Toronto may not be coronavirus-free just yet. A new presumptive case has been confirmed at North York General Hospital, and they are awaiting test results. This incident follows two cases of coronavirus in Toronto, which have both recovered. A third case was confirmed at Western University a few weeks ago, and that patient also made a full recovery.

UPDATE: The Toronto case of the coronavirus has been confirmed by the National Microbiology Lab in Winnipeg. 

EARLIER: The latest presumptive case arrived at North York General on February 21, according to the news release. The patient had a cough that continued getting worse, but her overall symptoms were reportedly mild. 

After receiving treatment and getting a test, she was discharged from the hospital and has gone into self-isolation. 

The Public Health Ontario Laboratory confirmed on February 23 that the test came out presumptive positive. Now, they are waiting for an official confirmation from the National Microbiology Lab in Winnipeg, where a sample was also sent. 

Chief Medical Officer of Health David Williams maintains that risk to public health remains low. According to the news release, the woman has worn a protective mask since arriving in Toronto. 

Officials will be seeking out those who sat near her on the plane and Toronto Public Health is also in contact with the woman. 

"Our health officials are clear that the risk to residents continues to remain low," John Tory reveals. 

The province also states that it's unlikely the woman was infectious. 

"Given the individual's clinical assessment and history, there is a low risk that she was infectious. The individual followed all protocols and wore a mask throughout her travels back to Toronto and, since landing, the woman has had very limited exposure to other individuals," says the release.

The first presumptive case in Toronto has made a full recovery, along with his wife, who was also sick. 

Earlier this month, a plane with 185 Canadian passengers arrived in Canada from Wuhan, and everyone that was put in quarantine showed no symptoms of the virus. 

"Because of all the proper protocols and procedures that are in place to contain this virus and exposure to others was limited, I want to assure the public that the risk to Ontarians remains low," said Dr. Williams in the press release.

On February 8, there were 7 confirmed cases in Canada, making this one the eighth. 

Comments are now closed.
Account Settings
Notifications
Favourites
Share Feedback
Log Out

Register this device to receive push notifications