A tiny dog had been missing for almost two months but thankfully there’s a happy ending to this story. The dog stolen in the subway has been returned safely to Toronto Police and it’s a Christmas miracle. However, there were some odd things that the dog was returned with and who he was returned by is still a bit of a mystery.

The beloved animal was stolen from a woman at the Kipling subway station back on October 27. Now he has been returned and everyone is breathing a sigh of relief that he is safe.

Toronto Police tweeted late on December 13 that the dog, Charlie, had been turned into them by a "good samaritan" that actually updated his vaccination shots and even bought him a new coat.

Charlie’s owner had a medical episode while in the subway station when the little guy was taken from her.

He has been missing ever since the end of October, but it took less than a day for the dog to be returned after Toronto Police put out a release that asked for the public’s help in finding the person who stole him.

At 2:25 p.m. on December 13, Toronto Police released the request for the public’s help.

At 9:15 p.m. that same day, it was announced that Charlie had been turned in safely.

Since a stolen dog is never good news, people took to Twitter to celebrate Charlie’s return.

One person tweeted, "This is great news many of us were hoping for heading into the weekend."

"Gotta get the reunion video," another said.

Despite the good news, there is still a bit of mystery around what happened to Charlie while he was missing. 

For instance, in their plea for help, the police put out a photo of the woman who was seen walking out of Kipling Station with Charlie.

However, according to the Toronto Star, the person who turned in Charlie was not the woman in the security camera images that they released.

Back in October when the dog was stolen, Toronto Police responded to a medical emergency at Kipling Station where a woman had a medical emergency. Because of that, she was unconscious and when she woke up her dog was nowhere to be found.

"[I have] a sleeping disorder and I felt like it might come on, so I just went to the bathroom for a second and I [fell] asleep for about a minute or a minute and a half, tops," Vanessa Shibley, Charlie’s owner, told the Toronto Star.

Even though the dog had been missing for almost two months, there’s a happy ending. Charlie is safe and back with Shibley just in time for the holidays.

There are stories everywhere. If you spot a newsworthy event in your city, send us a message, photo, or video @NarcityCanada on Twitter and Instagram.

Comments are now closed.
Account Settings
Share Feedback
Log Out

Register this device to receive push notifications