Peel Regional Police have revealed that Roopesh Rajkumar, father of the 11-year old girl found dead in a basement apartment in a Brampton, has been indicted on a charge of first-degree murder, Constable Dani Marttini said in a live update on Friday afternoon. Following the arrest of Rajkumar, police became aware of a medical concern involving the suspect and brought him to a hospital. He was later transferred to a trauma centre after his condition was deemed severe enough. Rajkumar remains in police custody.

Rajkumar was detained by officers shortly after his daughter’s body was discovered in an apartment located in the Brampton area about 30 km northwest of Toronto. Rajkumar was arrested by OPP officers near Orillia after a person responding to the alert called in to report a silver Honda Civic, which was the car the suspect was said to be driving in the warning.

It is thought that 11-year-old Riya was abducted by her father during a time when he was supposed to be taking her out for her birthday. Tragically, Riya’s mother was meant to celebrate a joint birthday with her daughter that night as the two were born on the same date, but the girl never returned home.

READ ALSO: 11-Year-Old Brampton Girl Found Dead After Getting Abducted By Her Father On Her Birthday

Several hours after officers were notified that Roopesh Rajkumar, 41, had not returned custody of his daughter to her mother, an Amber Alert was sent out.

However, the alert wasn’t issued until a little after 11:00 PM, which means that police were outside the house where they would later discover the young girl’s body for several hours before forcing entry.

Rajkumar had reportedly sent several concerning messages to Riya’s mother in which he threatened to harm both Riya and himself. Police were made aware of threats at around 7:00 PM on Thursday evening and immediately launched an investigation to locate the father and the missing girl.

"She came in already fully concerned saying, 'This is what he's saying to me, I'm concerned for the well-being of my daughter, I need some help,'" Marttini commented during a live update on the case. "Obviously our investigators took action right away."

READ ALSO: Peel Police Gets Inundated With Complaints About The Late Hour Of Last Night's Amber Alert

Ongoing story, more updates to come.

Comments are now closed.
Account Settings
Share Feedback
Log Out

Register this device to receive push notifications